1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD AKG C411L contact mic / MPA V L phantom adapter

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Bass Amps, Strings, & Accessories' started by JeffKissell, Apr 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Price:
    $185
    AKG C411L contact mic and AKG MPA V L phantom adapter. $185 OBO
    These are the separate units so you can have a small, light weight set-up on your bass without the (large, heavy) XLR adapter attached to the tailpiece. This little unit is a mic and sounds like it but works more like a pick-up! The volume and rejection before feedback is really impressive. It requires phantom power but can be used with a Headway or similar pre-amp that supplies 12v or 18v. (I'm also including a 15' and a 5' mini xlr cable to run between the mic and the phantom adapter, they add a small bit of noise to the signal but can be a really convenient option.)

I bought this whole rig from DRURB here on Talkbass a couple of months ago and have gigged with it a couple of times. He has a lengthy description here (the link to his thread.)

Price includes shipping ConUS
    PayPal preferred

-Jeff

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  2. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    I'm very interested but not quite sure about the set-up and whether it will work with my amp.

3. JeffKissell

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    What amp are you using?

4. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Mostly Acoustic Image Clarus

5. JeffKissell

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    If it is a Clarus with phantom power and a combo/xlr input then you are all set. The mic requires phantom power and the Clarus provides 48v.

6. neddyrow

neddyrow Bike Commuter but not a Bike Enthusiast Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    These are great mics! I have one and use it for many different applications!

GLWTS

7. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    O.K. so what plugs into what to make this thing work? And have you found a good spot to place the mic?

8. JeffKissell

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    The mic has a lightweight 6ft cable that ends in a mini XLR. That plugs into the phantom power adapter which ends in a standard XLR. That plugs into the phantom power source/amp/mixing board/etc.

What I did was attach the mini XLR cable end (C411L) to my tailpiece and wrapped up the extra cable length and taped it up under the tailpiece with black masking tape (so that what stayed on the bass was really light weight and unobtrusive.) Then I plugged the adapter (MPA V L) into that and ran a 10ft standard XLR cable to a mic preamp that provided phantom power and some basic eq/gain and could be used as a DI into a PA if needed. That was plugged into my amp (it sounds more complicated than it is.) In your case you could run the mic into the adapter and straight into the Clarus. If you were to use one of the mini XLR cables between the mic and the adapter, you would notice a small amount of additional noise. In a live setting I think it would be very acceptable but probably not in the studio.

The best position for the mic on my bass is about a half an inch below and to the outside of the E side bridge foot. Another good spot is about an inch below and equally spaced between the bridge feet.

FWIW, I was able to compare this mic to several others in a studio setting and the raw signal was very similar to the small diaphragm condenser mics we tried.

The reason I'm selling it is because of how much overlap there is with the Troll ribbon mic I also use. If I didn't have the Troll and/or I was regularly playing in louder situations; drums, electric guitars, etc, the C411 would be my mic solution.

-J

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  9. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Do you have the adhesive too? I went to the AKG web site but couldn't find a way to buy more of it. What else could be used? Thanks.

10. JeffKissell

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Yes, there is almost all of the adhesive still left. I didn't use that much to stick the mic down and all that I did use is still good and usable.

11. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Well, I have $170 in my Paypal account that isn't doing anything.

12. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

Just don't loan it to your pianist friend to use on the grand piano. You may never get it back.

13. JeffKissell

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    conversation started / pm sent

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017