1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AKG P2 review

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I couldn't find the thread where we talked about this so I started a new one.

We had a show last night with a pretty well known SE from the STL area ( turns out I went to school with him). He ran a DI off the back of my SVT and mic'ed my 810 with my new P2.

I thought it sounded pretty good out front and so did everybody else. The soundguy really didn't compare it to like a PR40 or a 421 or anything, but he said it was a nice mic and he didn't mind using it at all.

I was told the kicks sounded a little muddy ( I don't know what mics he used on the drums) and that depending on where you were the bass was more prevalent than the kick drums at times.

Fellow bass monster and TBer Michael Pearce came up and hung out all night, he may chime in with his thoughts, but general consensus is this mic doesn't scoop the mids and and sounds damn nice on an SVT/810.

For $100 I'd say it's worth having in your gig bag.

2. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Thanks for the real world review. I almost got one of these when I was looking for a live mic last year, but the lack of reviews gave me cold feet, and I ended up with an Audix D4 instead. Also a very nice mic, but about $50 more expensive.

3. It sounded good. Strong low end and plenty of clarity at higher frequencies. Then again, I didn't stand in front of your cabinet to hear what it was supposed to be reproducing. For what it's worth, I've added the P2 to my shopping list.

The kick drums were just low in the mix, which might have been intentional on the part of the sound guy. Hearing them better in the bathroom is due to the fact that the walls block the higher frequencies better than they block the low end, so they didn't seem as drowned out by the guitar and vocals. The PA in that place covers the middle of the room, but not so well at the ends.

4. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Yeah that set up is good for right out front...but its hard to judge the sound over next to those pool tables, especially since the some of them are to the side and behind the subs and the speakers above the stage...

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Sound guy gave me little in the way of feedback regarding the mic really. He said he liked it and would have no issues using it in the future, but I already know the guy believes that he can use any mic for whatever reason and make it sound decent. He chose to put a 57 on the drummer's vocals rather than one of the 58s we have. lol

tekhedd likes this.
  6. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    I received my P2 yesterday and used it rehearsal for church last night. My rig consists of an Ampeg V4 head and matching V4 cab with only 2 12" Deltalite speakers in it. My pedal board is run through to my REDDI and sent to FOH and then through put to my amp.

The FOH gets my DI and also mic as well and would blend accordingly. I run IEM and usually only listen to my mic channel for monitoring purposes. In the past I used a modded SM57, with the transformer removed. This "Tape Op" mod is supposed to increase the low end extension of the 57 and also flatten out the EQ. It sounded good but I was missing hearing the low end through the mic.

So I the P2 and was very impressed by its full range ability to pick up my lows and mids and highs without imparting any baked in EQ of its own. It was very true to what my amp was creating. Sounded fantastic in my ears. I didn't get a chance to hear it through the FOH but overall its a very nice bass amp mic.

The only thing I don't like is that the entire body is metal but the xlr connector and the threaded insert for the mic stand are plastic. It comes with a metal adapter screwed into to convert to the Euro 3/8". I'm going to do what Floyd Eye suggested and get an adapter that goes from the 3/8" back to 5/8" and save any wear and tear on the plastic threads.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    That is my only reservation about the mic. The fix cost less than $5 though and I figure for $100 you're going to have a trade off and I'd rather it be that than something that affects how the mic sounds or performs.

8. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    Agree 100%. Ordered the part on Friday.

After my initial testing on Thursday and my use yesterday for the actual services, I'm fully impressed. The low end and the freq of the mic are very transparent, what my amp produces I'm hearing. The other thing is that with close mic, it definitely minimized bleed to the mic as well (compared to 57 I was using before).

Compared to the clarity I get when I use just my REDDI for IEM, the P2 gives me all the low end and clarity that I need as well.