Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Al Caldwell

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stewmc5222, Feb 26, 2003.

1. has anyone checked out Al Caldwell? he's a 9-stringer who plays for Vanessa Williams. I got to hang with him some at NAMM. he's a monster player and a helluva nice guy. aside from all that, he's got the highest 6 strings of his Conklin (A-D-G-C-F-Bb) midi'd. the sounds are great and the tracking is phenomenal. I doubt the stuff he does behind the chanteuse is anything near what he's capable of on his own, but he's still someone to keep an eye out for. if you meet him, tell him Stew says 'hi'!

from the low end,

Stew

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Huh - I did a doubletake to make sure I wasn't on a local music discussion page... Al Caldwell is a radio personality who's been a name in this town since forever. His son does music booking and promotion, and is pretty much a waste of skin.

Different Al, obviously... ;)

3. :D

yup, I'd say it's a different cat! this Al is one of the MUSICAL musicians I've ever heard. he had chops to burn, but when he plugged in to perform for the crowds he was all about playing melodic and soulful stuff. it was *really* eye-opening!

seeking enlightenment in the low end,

Stew