Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Al Caldwel's "Bass For Lovers"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by LajoieT, Feb 1, 2006.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Anyone have this album???

If you do, would you mind listening to track 8, at about 1:19 and let me know if yours has a dropout, or do I have a bad CD?

The album is GREAT, I got both this one and Forbidden, and they both have very different feels from one another. Forbidden is real upbeat and fun, while Bass for Lovers is smooth and mellow. Both albums have quickly become staples in my regular car rotation (but I thing they're going to rattle my poor old truck to pieces with the thundering bass!!!).

2. I've got a couple of Al's discs and a few demos. great stuff! sadly I'm lacking the album in question. have you emailed Al about the problem? always best to go right to the source when you can.

hope all's well up east, man. I hear winter's been pretty warm lately. in the 50's?

Stew

3. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, We got a bunch of snow around Christmas & New Years, and as of today, it's all gone except for the big piles on the street corners. I don't really watch the weather, but I would think that today was well into the mid to upper 50's, I was outside quite a bit with only a t-shirt on (of course it was raining and miserable, but typically in Feb. today would have been 12" or more of snow. We've had a bit of a see-saw winter so far, freezing cold and snow followed by very warm and sunny, overall warm tho, which is nice considering heating costs.... Not that you guys in the warm zones need to worry about that!!!!:D

I wanted to check to see if anyone else had them before I bothered Al about it. My brother-in-law got me 2 of Al's CDs and Neilson-Goodman for Christmas from CDBaby, but he's out of the country right now so I can't get any documentation from him to check with them on it. There's no marks on the disc, and the timecode doesn't have any glitches in it when the dropout happens (it's a bit over a second long) So it's either on the original master or something happened in the replication, but I wanted to find out if it was something that was on other copies or if it was just mine.

Maybe I'll just PM Al and see if he's heard anything from anyone else.

4. yeah, I think Al's your best bet.

we're in the middle of a real heat wave here... I think it got into the 90's yesterday!

Stew

5. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I have the Cd.It does have a drop out,perhaps a couple.I won't discuss the tunes(no titles on my copy) ,production etc., but Al has some incredible bass moments on the disc. I think the "lick" he plays on the very end of track 5 is amazing.i like the tracks with solo bass as well.Al is a true talent.

6. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, there are no track names on mine either, I looked it up on the net. Didn't notice any other dropouts myself, but I listen in my truck for the most part, so I can't say as I have paid 100% attention to every track on the disc. Just got a reply from Al and he said something must have happened in manufacturing, which I can relate to. I've had a lot of CDs replicated and had 2-3 times where the results were defective.

As I said, I aslo got Neilson-Goodman and I love it too!!! I'm probably doing a great disservice listening to you ERBers on my (modestly upgraded) car stereo. Does Accugroove make car subwoofers??

7. I'll have to put a bug in Mark's ear about that! :D