Al Di Meola's - Electric Rendezvous

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by xolin, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Just have to say after listening to this album for the 2000th is a MUST listen for anyone into jazz,flamenco, guitar, bass, eighties, latin, seventies fusion, ANYTHING. Its just an amazing album with some great guitar lines with fast guitar work and accuracy but in the flamenco style (but electric for the most part) it is perfectly musical and melodic with great harmonies and rhythms. Its just a great album. Some songs have an eighties aura, but they still kick butt. This is definitely an essential album for fusion jazz/rock.

Electric Rendezvous is the best electric and Passion grace and fire is an AMAZING duet with paco de lucia on flamenco.

Plus...anthony jackson played bass quite masterfully!

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I've tried very hard to like Al DiMeola. I've bought Kiss my Axe, Al DiMeola Live, the recent Flesh on Flesh and even an early one I think was called Land of the Midnight Sun, with a couple of tracks with Jaco on them and I simply can't get into him. Not to mention all the Return to Forever stuff.

It seems DiMeola only has two modes: Incredibly fast single note runs or flamenco like strums. Everything he plays has to have chops and that sqeezes a lot of soul out of it.

Also, I hardly, if ever, hear any other instrument taking a lead or a solo on his records, which is fine if all you want to hear is guitar, but to me it just makes it very old very quick.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great musician, I just wish his stuff were more varied and mellow. He does pick good side musicians, which is why I keep coming back to him.
  3. I have listened to his other stuff and Im not entirely fond of it (although egyptian danza is sick). THIS ALBUM, HOWEVER is much much better and the keyboard solos are incredible, the rhythm has a HUGE part and the bass is driving. The guitars arent like that in this one..he has amazing solos, yes...BUT he plays incredible melodies and does not squeeze out the soul. Its also a very exciting album. If you want soul...listen to the last two tracks. For the best instrumentals in electric...God Bird Change and Electric Rendezvous. TRUST ME...if you want...just d/l the songs electric rendezvous, god bird change and passion, grace and fire...IM certain if you can get into those you'd want the album. At first it may seem a bit weird (when i bought it i hadnt heard much jazz, let alone fusion), but I was hooked the second time i listened!

His other essential is An Evening in San Fransisco with Paco De Lucia and John Mcclaughlin...Incredible Flamenco work with some inspiring songs and solos.

4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I like his stuff. He's a little limited as a soloist (in terms of creativity rather than technique) but I enjoy listening to the gymnastics. If you want something with more style than substance, check out his "World Sinfonia" albums. There's a lot of Piazzolla on them. Also check out "Rite of Strings" - you can't accuse him of hogging the spotlight on that one!