Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Al Green's bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DougD, May 1, 2003.

1. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Does anyone know who played bass on Al Green's hit "Lets stay together"? ? ?
    That is one tasty groove:D

2. All Music Guide lists it as either Leroy Hodges or James Mitchell.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Leroy Hodges did play bass with Al Green - I think James Mitchell was a Sax player ?

There have probably been lots of versions of this tune though, as it is one of the all-time greats or classics...

4. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    It sortof has a Jamerson feel to it.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's how I remember it - it sounds like Jamerson - but I don't have the CD.

"Standing in the Shadows of Motown" does say that Jamerson played with Al Green, but doesn't say which songs or albums?

6. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I have Al green's greatest his cd but I dont think it gives any musical credits at all. :mad: Still, the Rev Al had one smokin bass player;)

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'm pretty sure it was Leroy Hodges, Hi Records had a great rhythm section that played on a lot of great records. I think Ann Peebles used the same section....and it all ruled:bassist:

8. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    You're right, I just found an old record and saw him and his brothers on the credits. Man they were tight:)