Alabama BBQ restaurant sued for infringing copyrights of Elton John, Toby Keith

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fhm555, Jul 1, 2022.

1. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Suspended

Feb 16, 2011
  2. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Amiable Crank

3. I’ll have a pulled pork platter with slaw, mac n’ cheese and ‘nanner puddin’ :drool:

4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

No surprise, that’s what BMI does. If management willfully ignored communication over time, they were asking for it.

5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Impaired
    Yeah, I fail to see why this is news. It's like a headline that says "Police Arrest Criminal." So....?

6. Michedelic

Probably some undercurrent of indignation that some damn Yankees were telling them what to do.

7. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Impaired
    Being law-abiding is great unless you disagree with the law. Darned inconvenient, then.

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If something is truly "incalculable", how does one assess damage and / or a monetary value?

Riis

TN WOODMAN, BOOG, Ostie and 6 others like this.
  9. So 2 million per song for a single performance?

Who's getting paid that?

Ludicrous

10. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    "Attempts to reach the owners of the restaurant for comment were not immediately successful."

6lj7rz.jpg

11. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Impaired
    I don't know how many times the songs were played, but attempting to rectify this via 70 communications wouldn't happen if it were only once. We only know when they say it started.

Nobody wastes resources over something that trivial. The article seems to be downplaying the actual offense.

12. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Amiable Crank

Because, surely, BMI is going broke over a podunk BBQ joint playing an old Elton John CD.

13. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Impaired
    It ain't the non-profit going broke. Their job is to protect the financial interests of those who own the copyrights - the creators, in most cases, unless those rights have been sold.

If you don't like the law then maybe you should petition to change it, but that's how copyright works. People love to complain about this when they think intellectual property should be free for the taking, because they've never owned any. But write a hit song and watch everyone rip it off, and see how fast that perspective changes.

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Suspended

Feb 16, 2011
    PA: Language

Gearhead17 and darthplagis like this.
  15. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Impaired
    That was a long time ago. I bet if you asked these guys today, you might get a different perspective.

16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I've heard my bass lines are priceless...

... I'm still waiting for royalties.

Plectrum72, Zooberwerx and No Malarky like this.
  17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I don't think he was that good.

18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I don’t ca
    Ted Nugent’s band?

19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This.

It seems as though they were asked to either get a license or stop playing the songs multiple times. So now they're getn what's coming to them.

If you own a restaurant, either get a BMI license or don't play music. It really is that simple.

Nutn to see here.

20. Michedelic

Uh, no. Ted would probably side with the BBQ joint.