Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alain Caron Needs 7 Strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigWig Will, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Sorry JT, but I think this is the nicest-looking 7 strings I've ever seen...possibly the nicest looking bass period.....mmmmmm nice.....

Anyone want to loan me $9000? I'll pay you Tuesday....Tuesday...Oct. 15...2024?

[​IMG]

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no sweat. to each his own, eh? :) that is a nice bass.

3. does it have pickups?

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    pickups? no.... :D

the bridge is equipped with piezos...

5. oh, i didnt even think of that

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Very pretty.

Peace
    Nick

7. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    That's absolutely beautiful. I bet it sounds even more beautiful.

Is that a new model? I don't remember seeing a 7 on the Fbass site, only a 6.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i think that f-bass has been around for about a year or so

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Those basses aren't bad. I've played the regular version of the caron 6 with the magnetic and piezo pickups and that same sunburst. It's not bad looking but nothing spectacular IMO. And then I got a chance to play the "violin finish" Caron a week or so ago and was hugely disappointed. Not in the sound really, but in the look. It wasn't violin finish at all! It's like a red yellow burst. It doesn't look like that picture in the F bass gallery at ALL. It looked like I would expect a cheap factory made bass to me and that to me was really disappointing. Plus the purfling that looks carved on the F bass site looks like a sticker put on the bass in person.

I guess my point is that while those Caron basses are quality sounding and playing, I think they are really lacking in some ways in the aesthetics department. You would know what I mean if you got to see one in person.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's a gorgeous bass but for 9K, I'd be too worried about playing out with it.

11. Nicer than this:

[​IMG]

:D

my Hanewinckel Fusion 7-string fretless - http://www.hguitars.com/

- Dave

12. Geez Dave, how long has that blotch on your carpet been there....OH! That's the Bass!

:D ;) :D

Very pretty, but I like mine better, personally. I like F-Basses, which is weird because I usually don't like fancy boutique basses, I'm kind of a traditionalist.
    Yeah, 9K is a lot for a bass...but if it got stolen, or lost, or damaged (it looks really fragile). :eek:

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Also the tone while being great doesn't blow every fretless bass out of the water in my opinion. I had my fretless Fodera and the new alain caron sig side by side because I was going to keep one and sell the other based on how well they sounded, and they both sounded pretty close to the same. While the Caron had more available (it has the piezo's) I really didn't like the sound of them. It wasn't what I expected. I chose to keep my Fodera and sell the Caron bass because I think overall it's just better. I dunno..to each their own but I think that the Caron's aren't as good as I had hoped. I did buy one after all...

14. That is a nice F-bass. A friend of mine has a 5-string fretless F-bass that I've played on occasion. They play and sound great!

I do think it's ironic that the sound hole on your F bass isn't shaped like a standard "F" hole. It's more of a C hole. :D

- Dave

15. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    No problem, but I'll keep the bass till 2024 (than you'll really need those $9000;))
    I like it, very sweet bass but prefer the sound of this one (highly recommended: DON'T DEFRET IT:eek: )
    [​IMG]

16. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    So true! All it needs is a little notch in the middle there...now where'd I put that pocket knife? :eek: :D

17. What kind of fingerboard is that? Phenolic? Ebony? Would anyone mind telling me? :)

Dave Grossman, that tiger walnut top on the Hanewinckel 7 looks absolutely edible..... What is it finished with, is it a Satin, Clear Gloss, Tung Oil, etc.

The F-Bass probably sounds amazing, but the looks don't personally grab me.

18. Thanks! It sure is mouth watering, isn't it. :D

I believe it's an oil finish. I'm not sure if it's Tung Oil or something else. I'll try to find out.

- Dave