Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alain Caron

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by loui, Dec 2, 2000.

1. loui

loui

Sep 10, 2000
    hi!!
    I just discovered Alain Caron. He is a quite bad guy. Especially I like his slapping.
    I was just wondering if some of you could give me some advises which CD's to buy and which tunes to listen to. Until now my favorite track is "Trouble".
    By the way, do you like him or not ?
    and why ?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Caron has at least 4 solo discs-
    1)"Le Band"
    2)"Rhythm 'N' Jazz"
    3)"Play"
    4)"Call Me Al!"

+ a bunch with UZEB(a Canadian Fusion band that he co-led)+ side projects with Michel Donato, Sortie, & guitarist Leni Stern.
    Personally, I like RHYTHM 'N' JAZZ the best; "Slam The Clown" is slammin'! LE BAND is also cool.
    UZEB, IMHO, is a little too Fusion-y for me.
    The Leni Stern stuff w/ Caron is also happenin' & swingin'.
    Check out Caron's website or http://www.audiophileimports.com for a list of his recordings(search "Alain Caron").

3. loui

loui

Sep 10, 2000
    What are the names of these instructional books ? I would love to own one of these and it's allmost christmas.

You are very right when you say that his freetless stuff also is amazing !!

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...they're more like songbooks/scores to his albums RHYTHM 'N' JAZZ and PLAY. All grooves & heads.
    Caron has had some instructional columns in BASS FRONTIERS' mag.

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'M not a big Alain Caron fan...
    I live in montreal, so i saw him play quite often i also met him a couple of times. Nice guy though.
    He got all the chops but no groove (my opinion).
    you should check LE BAND, and also BASSE CONTRE BASSE.
    it's an album he did with a double bass player call, Michel Donato.
    it is the only one album with Alain i listen to from time to time.

uzeb club is not bad either...if you like chops.
    If you ever come in montreal, check for Norman Lachapel he is ten times better than Alain Caron....again it's only my humble opinion. :rolleyes:

Yvon

[Edited by Yvon on 12-03-2000 at 06:48 PM]

6. Hey, salut Yvon!

I tend to agree with you. Caron's best years are behind him. He now plays the same licks over and over. The problem with UZEB is that their good music is scattered across several albums, but if I had to pick a few, I'd go with "World Tour 90", "Live à L'Oympia" and "Live at Brecknell". The last two are vinyls but I think there's a CD called "Live" that includes the best of their old live albums. Stay away from "Between the Lines".

À la prochaine.

7. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I'm almost afraid to admit, when I first saw this thread, I had never heard Alain, so I downloaded a file from Napster,
    and all of you are right, he's great!

8. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Wow, I don't know whether to be more surpised at the fact more people haven't heard of Alain, or at the fact that those who HAVE heard of him are slamming him. Figured more folks would like him! :) He does have great chops and incredible facility on the instrument. While this may or may not appeal to some, I think the fact that his composing is second-to-none couldn't be argued against as easily. His arrangements and syncopated rhythmic bent are incredible. In addition to his fretless technique, Alain's composing had a HUGE influence on me. He's an incredible all-around player with, IMHO, a healthy sense of where the groove is, in spite of his chops-heavy nature. I personally like chops. It takes work to hone them to a point where they're clean and well-executed. Chops are cool when they're musical, and I think Alain has some pretty musical ones. It's alright in my book to have chops and be proud of it. :)

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree, Bryan.
    Caron has chops galore, but seems to be musical with them.
    Nice compositions...my ONLY gripe would be the extreme slickness of some tracks. Too much production/overdubbing of some parts(like the drums, if memory serves me).
    Too, IMO, there's some nice groove playing on RHYTHM 'N' JAZZ.

10. Alain Caron is (IMHO) one the most underrated players.

He has awesome chops and incredible feel.
    His compositions are fresh and very cool.

Oh and his fretless playing is way more than OK.

11. loui

loui

Sep 10, 2000
    Okay, it's probably just me, but what do you mean by saying the word "CHOPS". English is not my primary language, could anyone explanin ??

12. Hey Loui,
    "Chops" just means technical ability. To say someone has "great chops" means they can really play. While what "can really play" means is open to interpretation, usually this means someone who plays really fast. Alain Caron definitely has great chops!
    "Chops" can refer to more than just playing, though.. e.g., you'll hear someone talk about a producer having great "production chops".. that is, they're really good in the studio.

13. I just saw him play on a TV special...I cannot believe half of the stuff he did!!!! He is AMAZING!!!!!!

He was playing on a few songs with an upright player...forget his name, but he was awesome too!

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Where?! Where?!

Not on US TV, no "doobt".

15. canadian TV...i forget the name of the show...

it's all "aboot" jazz though, really awesome, eh?

:p

16. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Most likely that upright player was Michel Donato. Those two recorded a CD together a little while ago.

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    To this day, I'm still jaw dropped amazed over his slapped version of Doona Lee.:cool: :eek: Stunning!

18. I realize the videos aren't new to his website, but there may be some Talkbassers who haven't heard of AC so I thought I'd post this here, with a link to the website.

19. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    caramba indeed!

hey Xavier, any songs you recommend (i usually download songs then go buy the album)