Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alain's Best Album?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Hey everyone,

I'm gonna buy my first Alain Caron album today off his website but I'm curious as to which ones you all like the most? I love his fretless playing above all, so maybe the album with the most fretless is best. He's such an amazing player though, I don't think I could go wrong with any of them!

Thanks..

2. Thanks, KONG! I'll enjoy it I'm sure.

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Try to find some of the UZEB albums as well. Great stuff.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Rhythm 'n Jazz is my favourite.
    "Slam The Clown", anyone?

I also have Le Band & Play & some Leni Stern stuff with Caron...I didn't go for Call Me Al.
    He also has a more recent one, right?

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    R N' J for me too.

I also have Play, which is also very cool.

6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Check out "Le Band". Alain Carons very first solo disc. It's my fav!
    But then again, you can't go wrong with any of them!!

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm not the biggest Alain fan, but like Mike I liked le band the best.

8. Thanks, everyone, for all the replies. I'm gonna have a hard time choosing my first one. Maybe I'll just order a couple and make it easier on me. ;)

I really wish Alain had a DVD out.

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Does he have anything that doesn't sound like "smooth jazz?" I hate that stuff.

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    what have you heard of his that you thought sounded like smooth jazz?

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Caron stuff I have is not what I would call "Smooth Jazz"...IMO, Caron has a little more edge than what I hear as "Contemporary/Smooth/Safe Sax".
    My 'complaints' about what I own by Caron is this-
    Le Band & the one UZEB cd I have sound a little too much like '70s Fusion; that's maybe not a 'bad' thing...maybe I was in the mood for something in a '90s Fusion vibe(e.g. Rhythm 'N Jazz, Tom Coster's The Forbidden Zone, Gary Willis' Bent, etc).

...also-
    I'm not sure how much of Le Band, Rhythm 'N Jazz, & Play was actually played live as a group.
    Just my impression; I'm sure you guys will tell me to go fly a kite, eh?

12. Go fly a kite, Jim.

:)

I like anything with Caron on bass.

Caron = Smooth Jazz???? Since when?

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks, G.

BTW, Happy belated-Birthday!
    ;)

I would say Brian Bromberg, Gerald Veasley, & Wayman Tisdale, have Smooth Jazz albums out there...Caron? Never heard that side from him.

14. Likewise! :)

I like Uzeb's "Between The Lines" CD best. In addition, anything by the Mike Stern Band w/Caron should be good.

15. About the previous question about whether Alain will have a DVD... supposedly yes!

I saw both his concert and clinic in Toronto last month (both absolutely smokin'!) and asked him after the show about a future DVD and/or live CD in the works. He said that he's currently working on a concert/instructional DVD. I for one can't wait for that! :D

Hope this helps...

16. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hmm...I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that first one. Must have been in a really bad mood or something...

I guess I just feel like Alain's music has a very "produced" sound...

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree 100%. Same goes for Marcus.
    ...and that's what I was hinting at just prior to being told by X-man to go fly a kite.

Willis' 2 solo cds, IMO, sound like 'the happy medium'.
    (Just enough 'production')

18. I, too was thinking of ordering a UZEB CD today...anybody have a favorite for fretless? Thanks!

19. That is such good news! Thanks alot! I can't wait for that. It should be awesome.