1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alan Spenner (Roxy Music)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by queisser, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Was just listening to "Same old Scene" from Roxy Music's "Flesh & Blood" album. Supposedly that has Alan Spenner on bass.

Does anyone know or has a reasonable guess what kind of equipment he was playing on that?

Andrew

2. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    A Precision bass plugged straight into the board would be a reasonable guess.

3. Captain Bob

Captain Bob Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Nashville
    Really really, old thread....but it was a Wal JG. One must give credit where credit is due.
    The same bass is heard on Manifesto (the track) and Dance Away from the Manifesto album. You can see the bass on youtube with Roxy Music live in France '82.

4. He was also with the Grease Band. Always saw him with a P-bass.

5. Captain Bob

Captain Bob Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Nashville
    True! But, not on these tracks. He used his Wal.

6. Sounds like a fretless?

7. Thanks for the replies and the link to the YouTube videos. Too bad they almost never zoom in to Alan.

8. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    That's him at Woodstock with Joe Cocker, right?

/rick

9. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Check out his work on the original cast recording of Jesus Christ Superstar. What an amazing bassist.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yes!

...about 1:20 in...2:13 in...3:32 in...

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    His playing on Roxy's Avalon album is a perfect example of playing for the song, I love his playing!

12. His bass work on Jesus Christ Superstar is excellent.

13. joejazz

joejazz

Jul 14, 2016
    Alan was playing a Precision Bass with flats when recording Jesus Christ Superstar. I am not sure what brand of flats, it may have the strings that came with the bass from Fender. The first JCS recordings were made in October 1969, and the the final recordings were made in 1970. The Woodstock video of Alan playing with Joe Cocker shows him playing a black precision, and that might be the very bass he used on JCS since he began the JCS recording just seven weeks later. I will note that the Wal JG basses weren't made until 1973, and the model Alan had was likely made well after 1974.

Duckophile likes this.
  14. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I posted an interview with Bryan Ferry a while back in which he said Alan would still be the bassist for Roxy Music if he were still alive.

10cc likes this.
  15. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Alan Spenner was a one-off, fantastic bass player.

I used to go and see him in clubs and pubs when Kokomo started out. If I remember correctly he was playing a Jazz bass at that time.

Kokomo was the Grease Band, a couple of other musicians and the singers from another band called Arrival.

RHFusillo likes this.