1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alanis Morisette bass sounds...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Trevorus, May 13, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I got an external HDD from a friend that had a ton of music on it, so I was listening through to see what I'd keep. I found Alanis morisette's track "You Oughtta Know". The bass part in the pre-chorus is FANTASTIC!!! If you have that wound, go listen to it. Help me get that sound!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it's Flea.... I haven't heard it in a while but Stingray with nickel rounds into GK stuff should do it

3. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    If I am not mistaken, it's also fretless.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Really? Wow. I have a New Ibby BTB that gets very close to that. The sweepable mids really helps. And I run that through a GK 1001RB, so I just need to get a stingray, eh?

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    or Flea's hands :cool:

and yeah, I think that's a fretless track

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I loved doing that song with my cover band. Guess I tended to overplay a bit (the song has lots of room for additional fills) but it was still fun.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jagged Little Pill has two versions of "You Oughta Know".
    IIRC, Flea played on one & I'm not sure who played the other...both tracks are similar in feel/vibe(can't recall if the other version is fretless).

One thing I like about Alanis...she isn't afraid to re-invent herself; I've heard a few versions of "You Oughta Know" & have pretty much liked them all(there was even a stripped-down 'orchestral' sounding one done live on TV many years ago).
    There is a Live-In Concert video of "You Oughta Know" at youtube with the same band that appeared on Saturday Night Live (back in the early-mid '90s?)...2 guitars, Chris Chaney on bass(?) +, I think, the Foo Fighters' drummer.
    Very tight, rockin' outfit.