1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alban Schmidt??

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by adarrell, Apr 25, 2010.

1. adarrell

adarrell

Sep 23, 2009
    I went to an elderly woman's house today because she has a 60 year old German bass that's been sitting in her house, not being played. It's in decent condition, needs some restoration, apparently about $1k worth. The label inside is Alban Schmidt? I can't find any information about who this is. I figured it was a trade name, a factory bass of some kind. Does anyone have information about him and the basses he makes? The action was horribly set up but it had a trio of great old gut strings on it. There are some cracks that needed repair so some sound was escaping which disabled me from having a clear picture of its true sonic identity. Surprisingly resonant considering. A little concerned about the clarity and evenness in tone quality.

2. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    There is some chat on the web about a violin made under this name selling for about $2.5k. The info states it was made in Markneukirchen in the 1880s. This locale has been a center of lutherie since the mid 1800s through the current period. You may want to check some of the auctions on places like Sotheby's to see if this name comes up. Some other chat I read does indicate this is a trade name but I would not consider internet chat to be definitive.

An unrelated example: there's an interesting DB fore sale here by Vaclav Nosek, dating from 1927 and made in Trest, Moravia. There is essentially zero information about any basses made by him but a search reveals that he did make some quite decent violins during the early 1900s. Sometimes you just have to widen your scope a bit.

If you like the sound and looks of the bass, get it checked out by a good bass luthier. Ultimately, you may never know exactly who made it, but if it plays and looks good to you, who cares?

3. adarrell

adarrell

Sep 23, 2009
    Haha I'm not trying to find out whose hands touched it, just who Alban Schmidt is, since his label is on the inside and I've never heard anything about him or the basses he (or his name) has built.