1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Albert King

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lesley Bartlett, May 28, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Does anyone happen to know who played bass on Albert King's 1962 album, The Big Blues?

Cheers,

Lesley

2. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Good question. It was before he signed with Stax Records. It would be Duck Dunn on subsequent albums.

3. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Hard to tell. Blues at Sunrise and Let's Have a Natural Ball were originally recorded in '59 and released by St Louis' Bobbin Records. Those tracks and subsequent Bobbin sessions were leased to King Records and possibly make up the bulk of the album. Little Milton produced at least some of those and Ike Turner had a hand in it as well, so they were probably drawing from their stable of sidemen. One name that keeps popping up in searching Bobbin records is Jesse Knight, bassist with Ike's Kings Of Rhythm, though I can't pin him specifically to Albert's sessions.
    Albert didn't make it to King Record's in house studio until '63, so I think Big Blues may be all Bobbin sessions, unless the release date was later than '62. Some sources put it at '64. http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=771

Sidemen on indy labels often didn't get credits in those days. I know the St Louis recordings from '64 produced by Leo Gooden and Mack McKinney had Don James kicking bass on a B3 (Like C.O.D)

I've got the Albert King box set, and the booklet lists credits when available. While Duck played most of the Stax cuts, he's not on all of them and some of the Stax label cuts were recorded at Muscle Shoals with David Hood on bass. Bar Kays' rhythm section with James Alexander on bass did some Memphis recordings.

My good friend and mentor, Gus Thornton played on Albert's cover of Phone Booth (1984) and the SRV and Albert video shot in '83

4. Thanks for the replies! I didn't have much luck googling either but some great information here. Thanks again.

5. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I'm from St Louis, home of Bobbin records and actually know a few Bobbin artists and quite a few of the many sidemen employed by Albert and Ike throughout their careers. There were many as they was difficult to work for and, left more than a few of them at the nearest bus stop in the middle of a tour. While it was a little before my time I have played with some of the musicians who appeared on the label. I will ask around and see if anyone has an idea.