Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Albert Stinson

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Phil Rowan, May 1, 2005.

1. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I ran some searches and couldn't find anything about him on here. I have a Chico Hamilton album called "Man from two worlds" that Al Stinson is on, and I feel like he gets slept on a lot. In my opinion he was up on the same level as a Scott LaFaro or Gary Peacock, and had a HUGE sound, big groove, and played some very interesting ideas. I've only heard him on this one recording, but I know there are some other Chico Hamilton albums he's on, and I believe there's a Clare Fischer trio album he's on (along with Gary Peacock on some tracks).

Doug Weiss told me a few years back about him, and told me about a particular (out of print) Bobby Hutcherson album called "Oblique" that Stinson plays on. Anyone have any more info about him?

gerry grable likes this.
  2. I met Stinson in 1965, during my brief stint with Bill Evans. to give you an idea of the kind of regard he was held in....Bill asked me if it was cool if he asked Albert to sit in. Of course, I said yes. And you're right Phil, he was a real player. I don't think he was quite on Scott's level.
    Besides the stuff with Chico, I can't remember what else he did recording wise. It seems he did some stuff with vibist Gary McFarland.
    Marcus, Mike Buono was a real Stinson fan. Ask him what he might have with Albert.
    I'm afraid he had some personal problems with addiction and I heard that he passed.

3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I only know of Stinson from a recording I have where he is subbing for Ron Carter in the Miles Quintet......think I'll go look around and see if I can find out more about him

4. That's a new one on me Alexi....what record is that? My old age is attacking again, 'cause I thought Albert was already gone by the time that band came into being....
    We need more information on Stinson. Anyone else out there with some other A.S. stuff?

5. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Paul,

You're right. Maybe not quite on Scott's level, and again, I've only heard him on the one recording I have of him, but he was really a monster (like Scott, even if not on the same level). Do you know if he was using steel, or gut strings when you met him?

6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    It's unreleased - I got it through a fellow collector of mine. 1967. I think the story goes that Ron was too busy with other studio dates. I have another one where Richard Davis subs also.

7. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    my son gave me a turntable for x-mas. One of the albums I found in storage is John Handy "New View". Handy, Hutcherson, Pat Martino, Stinson, drummer Doug Sides, violin Mike White. Side 1, Naima (in memory of John Coltrane):,A little Quiet. Side 2, Tears of Old Miss (Anatomy of a Riot). Produced by John Hammond. Recorded live at the Village Gate.
    Also, check out Mr. Stinson with Charles Lloyd.

8. jfkbass

jfkbass

Jun 14, 2008
    Newburgh, NY/NYC
    Paul's post under another topic caused me to bump this. I just recently got into Mr. Stinson. There's some great playing on "man from two worlds" by Chico Hamilton. I'm slowly but surely finding other stuff with him on it.

Does anyone know when he died?

Alexi, that album sounds interesting, were you ever able to find it? Maybe we can work something out.

Thanks

jk

9. jfkbass

jfkbass

Jun 14, 2008
    Newburgh, NY/NYC
    Doug Weiss told me a few years back about him, and told me about a particular (out of print) Bobby Hutcherson album called "Oblique" that Stinson plays on. Anyone have any more info about him?[/QUOTE]

That album was re-released a few years back and is easily available (and killing!)

10. Maybe we can work something out......I know all about that ****, jfk. Drugs, Hookers, Sexual Favors...Sound familiar? :hyper:

11. jfkbass

jfkbass

Jun 14, 2008
    Newburgh, NY/NYC
    Am I that obvious.....or have we met before??

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sounds like last weekend....

13. "Oblique" was my introduction to Albert Stinson. What a great player! As I recall, the liner notes of that record mention that Albert died of a heroin overdose in 1969 while on tour with Larry Coryell. Whoever wrote the notes described him as "a victim of the jazz life".....

14. Albert was a victim of Albert, Jim.

mrefjl likes this.
  15. Yep. Ultimately, each of us is responsible for our own actions. That's why your story is so inspiring, PW. You're confronting your demons and kicking ***.

Aside from the records mentioned thus far in this thread, does anyone know of other recordings with Albert Stinson?

16. alligator69

alligator69

Apr 16, 2004
    Pacific Jazz Records:
    Clare Fischer - Surging Ahead (Available on Mosaic "The Pacific Jazz Piano Trios" which also includes two excellent bonus tracks)
    Joe Pass - Catch Me

All very excellent hard swinging playing.:cool:

17. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    I have him on Chico LP. He was great. Turetzky has his Lionhead bass, I played it once during a lesson with Bert.

18. After reading this thread, it inspired me to dig out Oblique and listen to it. What a great album. Like so many of the recorded in (if not released in) the '60s Blue Notes, it just kills on so many levels.

mark

19. Yeh, Phil...Last year I heard "Oblique" for the first time and was blown away by Albert's playing. In some ways, I have to say I like where he was coming from more than Lafaro (don't hate me!), just personal taste. I looked up everything I could, but his output was nil....once he hit the scene, he passed by the time he was 24. So I've only found two albums he was on.
    Besides Oblique, I have an album he did with Chico Hamilton. He worked a bunch with Terry Gibbs, but I havent found any recording dates he did there.
    you know the guy to ask about him is is Bill Goodwin...I think they grew up together, from what I heard.
    You find anything, keep me posted....
    PS one of your postings inspired me to check out the Evah Parazzis, just put my order in last night, looking forward to checking them out

20. He also sounds great on Chico Hamilton's "A Different Journey"--long out of print on LP, but just reissued on CD.