1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Albini sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by psi, Apr 3, 2006.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    If any of you guys have listened to Shellac, Big Black, Rapeman or any Steve Albini-produced albums, you're likely to have heard the sound I'm after here.

IIRC, the Shellac bassist played an MTD pick-style. Personally, I have several graphite neck basses but no matter what I do, I can't get the Shellac bass sound. There's this certain raspiness that I'm missing. I tried adding a bit of distortion from my Digitech XBD, but still no dice.

I'm thinking it either has to do with an EQ setting that I'm not dialing in, or maybe the amp? Or maybe a different type of distortion effect?

Any tips?

2. I suggest contacting Steve directly and putting forth a competent question. If he "likes you", I hear that he'll tend to help out. ;)

I imagine that your answer can be found somewhere in the middle of an expensive signal chain engineered by a bright knob twiddler! ;)

http://www.electricalaudio.com/contact.php

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I saw Shellac live a few years ago, and they actually had a question-and-answer segment in the show where people could ask about their gear. The amps and cabs were custom built, non-production, no identifying marks, and I can't remember who Albini said built them. Albini had a couple of pedals IIRC, but the bassist did not. The amps had exactly ONE control on the front panel- a big gain knob. My interpretation was that their sound was just aggressive playing through high-gain tube amps with no EQ or processing other than what may have been onboard their instruments.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Bob weston(Bassist for Shellac)usually plays a Travis Bean Bass(it's been his main Bass for many years)and because of it's Aluminum neck I can guarantee you that is one of the reasons atempting to emulate his tone is so elusive to you.

5. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Ah, Travis Bean -- that's what I meant. Got Tobias and Travis mixed up. Both my Kramers are aluminum necks; I'll give it a shot with them.

6. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Haha, 1 knob... that's awesome. I'll also try messing around with some tubes. THanks

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Are you familiar with this site ?if not do a search,there's usually info on Albini and Bob Watson.

http://www.electrical.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php

8. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
    Ive managed to do a pretty good impression with a graphite neck bass and steel strings. Its all about the attack of the pick. strike on an angle, so the pick brushes against the string. strike it almost on a 45 degree angle. that will give you the burr. It least it did for me.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Check out the Albini-produced "Mclusky Do Dallas" (by Mclusky) if you haven't already! Awesome array of P-bass tones. (Sorry for the OT, can't answer your question).

10. Salizander

Salizander

Oct 28, 2004
    In the old Big Black days I've seen lots of early concert photos of the bass player used a black T-40 with a rosewood neck & later Shellac / Rapeman stuff with that Travis Bean. I have absolutely no idea about the amp set-up though :meh: . I've always really dug that bass sound too (like that live version of Big Black's - "Cables" bass only part has always been one of my favorites) which has usually had a pretty similar/consistent sound even since Albini's earliest stuff. I kind of suspect that with an amp set-up that produces that kind of sound probably wouldn't even matter to terribly much what kind of bass you plugged into it.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Watson usually uses a Traynor head.

12. The rusty box! get it!
    it's exactly what you want!