Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Album(s), in your opinion, that have a great mix?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm really curious to see what you guys think. My drummer and I come from (listening anyway) a jazz and hard rock/metal background for the most part. My guitarist comes from an 80's rock/Irish music background. The drummer and I agree on a lot of albums, mostly r+b and jazz. The guitarist seems to hear things a lot differently than we do. Most of his favorite mixes involve bands like Big Country, whose records I see as an example of what not to do. :D Anyway, what do you think?

2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I think most Shellac albums are mixed really well. Then again, I like almost every mix that Steve Albini has done. I like a lot of dry sounding drums, especially kick and snare. Reverb on drums sounds "over-produced" to me, which means that I tend not to like any mixes from the 80's.

Everything needs to have it's own spot with regards to how the mix is EQ'd. I've heard a lot of songs where the bass is covered up by a really bassy sounding guitar, or a guitar is lost in the cymbal wash (not always a bad thing :D )

3. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
    Everything about the production is just perfect. Great album overall. :)

4. What's the difference between "mix" and "production" or are they the same thing?

(I'm gonna wait 'til I have an answer to that before I give a load of suggestions, but I think I have loads of suggestions. I think)

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Mix, in the roughest of terms, has to do with how you hear each instrument relative to everything else your hearing on the record. It does fall under the aegis of production, but production encompasses almost every aspect of the album, like for e.g. putting reverb on drums( :spit: ).

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I really like the mixing on Most of Primus's stuff, No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom", and Blues Traveler's "Straight on Til' Morning"

7. So it's the balance between the instruments, how loud this one is here and how quiet that one is there then, yeah?

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    As far as Pop-Rock-R&B goes...
    Off the top of my head:

Gary Katz & Steely Dan.
    Arif Mardin & AWB.
    Jimmy Guercio & Chicago; Blood, Sweat, & Tears.

Something a little more current & 'harder'-
    I like the mix on 311's first couple albums...

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Blood Sugar Sex Magic has a great mix. The bass is quite prominent, but it does not overpower anything. The guitar is great, as it stays in the hight frequency and doesn't cover up much at all. Nice and out of the way, but still there.

10. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    I like the mix on Californication by the Chilis. Also, on Audioslave's album everything seems to be in it's right place.

sweet

11. -The newest King Crimson album, and all three of the 1980s ones
    -The Mahavishnu Orchestra's first two albums
    -The last two Dismemberment Plan albums (Emergency and I and Change)
    -Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy--that one just clicked
    -Anything ever recorded by the ECM label

IME guitarists, especially ones who specialize in rock, tend not to have any taste when it comes to production--they just want to hear a wall of distorted guitar with vocals on top, with clicky drums and buried, muffled bass. I guess it's because they all grew up listening to Metallica and Slayer :rolleyes:

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I doubt there's a lot of Kid Rock fans here, but I am constantly amazed by the production of Devil Without a Cause everytime I hear it. There's always something new that I discover about it, everytime I heard it. I've always considered hip-hop a real "Producer's style of music".

I always thought Steve Miller's albums had great production for their time. I wasn't alive when SMB was popular, but compared to other recordings of the time they sound fantastic.

I also always dug that late 60's/early 70's production. I can't realy explain it, but it's some way they treated vocals that I like. Long Hot Summer Nights by Jimi Hendrix would be a good example of what I'm talking about.

I agree with No Doubt's tragic kingdom. Love the production on that album. Espcially what they did with Gwen's voice in Happy Now. And you can't deny the awesome tone of Tony Kanal.

13. Oh, you can't forget Peter Gabriel III and Security. Massive.

LiquidMidnight's comments about hip-hop production style are important--any album produced by Timbaland or the RZA is gonna sound phat. On the IDM end, I love what Amon Tobin (alias Cujo) does on his discs--he could write a book on bass treatments alone!

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Maybe it's a bassist/drummer thing then. You all, for the most part anyway, seem to be on the same page as my drummer and I.

15. Definitely. Bassists and drummers, since we play supportive instruments, tend to appreciate the mix as a whole much more than guitarists and singers.

The keyboardist in my band is like your guitarist--he plays Hammond and solo piano mainly, so he really doesn't have a very good sense of how things fit together in a mix. (The Hammond is, as I've always maintained, the Destroyer of Mixes.) He doesn't understand why a bassist should need to have enough midrange definition to know what note he's playing. :rolleyes:

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    My guitarist is sort of like that. He pays lip service to the idea of having a good mix, but I don't trust his ears at all. He keeps agreeing with me about having a more "R+B" or "jazz trio" type mix, but there's a problem. The problem is, he doesn't listen to any music like that, so how would he know what he's agreeing to? You can't listen to one record one time and claim to have a feel for how a certain style stereotypically gets mixed! I sense impending disaster.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    -SOAD - Toxicity, nothing really overpowers anything else. I love Rick Ruben, truely an artist.

-Mike Watt - Contemplating The Engine Room, my current favorite album. Bass is really up front... but not overpowering.

-Rush - pretty much anything... espescially Moving Pictures, IMO.

18. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    One off the top of my head is Alice in chains - Dirt.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  20. Get him a copy of Pat Metheny's Bright Size Life and Gateway's Homecoming. Those two records are how guitar trio records should sound.