1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Albuquerque Music Store

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sadowsky, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Does anyone have any opinions of Grandma's Music in Albuquerque, NM?
    They are interested in becoming a Metro dealer but I do not know anything about them.

Thanks.

Roger

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I could give you my opinion, but I am not familar with the store. ;)

3. eaaa410

eaaa410

Jun 20, 2008
    New Mexico
    I have always had good experiences with them. Very nice store, bigger than the local GC. Knowledgeable staff. They are pretty much always busy and packed on weekends. I would guess they are the local favorite.

4. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    Hi Roger,
    I used to deal with them years ago when I was repping for a bass manufacturer. They were always busy, professional and timely, but this was at least 10 years ago. IIRC, they had quite a large store.
    I hope it works out for you!

5. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I do a lot of business with Grandma's. I have purchased basses, guitars, amps, and other gear, and have always been happy with the transactions.

6. Another Dave

Another Dave

May 11, 2007
    It's been about 3 years since I've been in their store, but they have a long history in the area (20+ years) and the orginazation has progressively grown during that time.

Current location is on a major road on the newer (growing) side of town. decent layout and pretty well stocked.

They've always had a loyal following in the area.

Hope it helps, and good luck!

7. Grandma's is one of the few "good" stores around, at least in Albuquerque. They have a great reputation in town, and fairly knowledgeable staff. The go-to guy for bass is Mike Olivola - a well known/respected bassist with tons of experience in NYC and San Francisco (and a former Sadowsky player - he mostly plays upright now). Fantastic, knowledgeable player.

The owner is a jazz bassist/guitarist, as well. They have a pretty vested interest in the community, and they are one of the biggest/busiest music stores within 300 miles, if not more. Some of their sales people are career employees, so they actually know their clients and have a long history here in New Mexico.

Personally, I'd be really excited to get some nicer gear like the Metros in town. I might even buy one!