1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alcohol vs. Silk Ends

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lizardking837, Mar 25, 2009.

1. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    I'm looking to save some dough on strings. I was just wondering if soaking strings in denatured alcohol would damage the silk ends of said strings.

Your help is appreciated

2. I don't think it would hurt them any more than getting them wet with water.

You really don't need the silk ends anyways.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Better in strings.

4. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    If you build a string cleaning tube you can hang the strings from the silk end rather than the ball end. Then the ball end gets the alcohol, though- IME this tarnishes it some if it's left in too long, but that's not a huge deal.

5. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Silk is a pretty thang....only. What I think people on this forum ought to do is sell their used strings. In most cases they're not so "used". I race cars and you can get really good deals on so called "used" tires when all the previous owner did was use them to qualify. I think there's a used string market out there.

6. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    I currently rotate a two sets of DM SR2000 Medium lights with gold wrappings. As you would expect it does loosen the material a bit but nothing that serious. I've done my current sets about three times and the silk is in pretty good condition