Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Aug 30, 2004.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    Well i am a youngster, wont lie about that, but all of the "you are too young" and "you are a wuss" comments aside, i have a situation i would like to share.

On rare occasions do i drink. But every time i have, every sip is agony. I am not sure how people could like alcohol to the point that some do, but i am now realizing that my situation may be limited among the population. When i drink, no matter what it is... be it hard liquor, beer, wine cooler, and other various alcoholic drinks, i cannot enjoy drinking. I would like to say that it is the taste that is a turn off, but whenever i drink, something is just extremely unpleasant about the way the alcohol itself smells. It is like i am trying to down a noxious chemical like paint thinner or paint. I slightly gag on each and every sip of beer. It is an experience that i dont really understand. Maybe i am just "sensitive," heh... who really knows for sure.

Does anyone out there share an experience like mine?

2. well, do you have a full-time job that you hate, a s**t-load of bills, and lower back pain? that's how i enjoy the taste :ninja:
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I absolutely loath the taste of alcohol. I have to have a chaser of some sort for everything but bitch beer (Mikes, Smirnoff Ice, etc.). Actual beer is right up there with gargling snot, as far as taste goes. However, like taking out the trash, cleaning your room, or mowing the lawn, it's just something you power through.

I have two basic rules when it comes to drinking: no beer, and we're not doing it at my house.
  4. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Dude I've tryed sips of alcohol, and I don't understand how people can drink it. Many people tell me "it's not about the taste" and I believe that. But if you don't like it dont try it, don't give into peer pressure. My mom is also an alcoholic, and thats one of the reasons I will never drink. But bottom line is if you dont like it dont do it.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bears repeating.
  6. When I was in the Army, there was a guy who was allergic to alcohol. He had never drank alcohol(and he was somewhere in the 20 year old range), which was amazing as you can legally drink at 17 if you're in the military on a military post. Anyway, at a Thanksgiving party he had a half glass of champagne, and that guy was super plowed. We're talking completely incoherent-crapping your pants drunk. For the next few weeks or so, he thought it was "cool" to drink 4 sips of beer, throw up, pee all over the hallway, pee on his friends that were nice enough to clean him up, and generally be everyone's worst nightmare drunk. After about the second time being sent to the hospital, he was told that it could totally kill him. He did stop, and it did make me aware of something I wasn't aware of previously. There's people that can handle their liquor, lightweights, people who can't drink, and people who don't drink by choice. Whatever your choice is, make sure it's your choice- you're not going to impress anyone with a load of poo in your drawers.
  7. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    I used to be that way. i find that most things (beer for one) were an acquired taste for me. i only like a few (preferably Guinness).

But i wouldnt sweat not liking it if i were you. **Pirate voice on - "For here there be monsters...arrgh." **Pirate voice off.
  8. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Beer rules.....spirits rule.....

What was the question? :D

Nah my first beer was nasty, I remember contemplating the idea of spilling it on to the grass (I think it was a Bud Light). But that's just wrong, so I drank it. The second wasn't so bad. The next day it tasted good.

It's a taste that grows on you. I don't think anybody truly loved the taste of beer from the beginning...or especially vodka...
  10. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Most people's first beer is usually crap, ie they are drinking a Bud or a VB or whatever your local mass produced cats urine is. However if you really get into beer, there a many fantastic beers that dont have the traditional taste that most people associate with Bud or Coors or whatever. There are often boutique brewerys which make interesting beers which far exceed what you find in some "name" labels.

I think of Bud or Coors (or whatever your local is) as the $2 wine equavalent. You don't drink $2 wine and expect ti to be good, so why have the same expectations with Beer? If you want quality you have to pay for it.
  11. Yeah but for $2 you can get just as drunk. To me, that's the point. I aint drinkin for pleasantries.
  12. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You can play music on a $99 Essex, but for some reason I prefer my custom ;)
  13. I get the analogy but the humor is lost on me. Headbanging must've killed off my last remaining brain cell.
  14. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    If you don't like the taste of something, why on earth would you drink it? If you don't enjoy the taste, but drink only to get drunk - you already have a problem.

Patient: Doctor, it hurts whenever I do this

Doctor: Well, don't do that. That'll be $75
  15. mmmm..... alcohol

Probably the greatest discovery in the world.
  16. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I enjoy microbrews and wine, but I'm a total light weight. It really doesn't take much to get me tipsy.
  17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would just advise you not to drink beer, stick with mixed drinks. That way you control how much alcohol you drink.

For mixed drinks, I like Grey Goose + Orange or Cranberry juice; So Co and Cola; and Kahlua and Milk. For beer. I will drink either Corona with Lime, Killians, or Red Stripe.
  18. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Ummm, I think you may find the opposite may be true. Mixed drinks tend to have varying alchohol/vol ie:

Vodka = 40%
    Whisky = 40-50%
    Kahlua = 22%

etc...then you often dont know how much of the spirit is poured into the drink vs the mixer, ie was it one shot or two, one and a half etc.

With a beer, you can pretty much guarantee the alchol will be fixed between 4-6% and that the exact quantity of what you are drinking.
  19. Well, generally speaking, I agree.

I like hard drinks because they get me drunk very fast, so I drink them, but I usually have water, or something else with it

I don't like beer because I don't like the taste, and it doesn't get me drunk, so I don't drink it.

I absolutely love the taste of drinks such as smirnoff. (ice, twists, it's all good) MMMMMMM!
  20. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    You don't need to drink to enjoy life. If you don't like it consider it a blessing and leave the stuff alone. I quit drinking over twelve years ago and have not missed anything except maybe hangovers, DUI's, car wrecks, jail time, unwanted children etc. No really, I used to travel alot on my job with a group of guys that were heavy drinkers. These guys would get beer, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels etc and sit in their rooms alone and drink themselves into a stupor. I finally realized that they fooled themselves into thinking they were having fun. I mean you go by the guys room and he is sitting there, watching Wheel of Fortune and laughing and stuff like he was having a blast. I would go out on the town and come back in a couple of hours and walk past his room and he would be slumped over in his chair with his work clothes still on, with drool running down his chin. It was a real eye opener. You will not miss anything good in life by leaving alcohol alone. Just MHO.