1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alder bodied bass with musicman pu in sweetspot

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cigi, Apr 14, 2010.

1. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking about my custom made bass that a friend (luthier) will build for me and thinking about all the options. At this moment I have a very good fender p so I've got that covered. I like the alder/rosewood combo the best as far as wood goes. I was thinking about jazz pickups, but now I was maybe thinking about a musicman pickup in the sweet spot. I like the MM pickups, but I don't like the ash bodies. They sound good in the lower registern but in the higher register they don't sound as full as an alder bodied bass.

My question now is: how does an alder bodied bass with a musicman pickup sound. Does anyone hase a bass like this here? And do you have a video of this bass or a sound file?

Thanks,

Cigi

2. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Bump :hyper:

Nobody has any experience with an alder bodied bass with MM pickup?

3. Dude, this is basically a tonewood question. A less volatile topic would be either politics or religion.

4. My Valenti has an alder body with a Nordstrand MM pick-up in it.

I feel that the alder takes away some of the harshness that the MM can have.
    To my ears, maybe that's why most painted body EBMM sound better. They save the ash for clear/burst type finishes and use alder/basswood for painted bodies.

Alder with rosewood is a great choice IMO.

BTW, the 2 band Sadowsky pre-amp sounds GREAT with the Nordstrand MM pick-up.

5. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Thanks for the reply Mike.

Do you have a soundclip of this bass with the mm pickup?

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Don't sweat the tone wood too much. Been there. It matters, but not as much as pickup placement, IMHO.

Check this MM pickup equipped 35" scale (cheap) MTD Kingston for growl: