1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alder body....needs a finish at all?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Mar 14, 2003.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    question for all you TB "do it yourselfers". I recently purchased a Warmoth 5 string deluxe P body constructed of Alder. I'll probably put an oil finish on it but since I'm THE laziest person I know...does an alder body even need a finish? :D I know...I sound ridiculous don't I?! Anyway...your opinions/comments are appreciated.
    -Bazz-

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

This would be the worst wood to do that.
    Alder is a very soft wood.

If you scratch it with your nail, it will leave a mark.

It will also turn to dirty pukey green very quick.

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    While I have nothing against alder in terms of tone, they can be rather cold looking in a natural finish.

The natural appearance of alder is often...'uninspired'. Ash fares far better in that regard.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

All I can think of is "paint."

I think alder is butt-ugly and poplar is one of the few that looks more awful. After all, Leo didn't paint alder because it was the cheaper way to go

Take a look at Ecostain products - http://www.oldgrowthsolutions.com/products.html They could only help.

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ....got it. Thanks for the input. I'll definitely finish it with a hard finish.
    -Bazz-