Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alder body....needs a finish at all?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Mar 14, 2003.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    question for all you TB "do it yourselfers". I recently purchased a Warmoth 5 string deluxe P body constructed of Alder. I'll probably put an oil finish on it but since I'm THE laziest person I know...does an alder body even need a finish? :D I know...I sound ridiculous don't I?! Anyway...your opinions/comments are appreciated.
    -Bazz-

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

This would be the worst wood to do that.
    Alder is a very soft wood.

If you scratch it with your nail, it will leave a mark.

It will also turn to dirty pukey green very quick.

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    While I have nothing against alder in terms of tone, they can be rather cold looking in a natural finish.

The natural appearance of alder is often...'uninspired'. Ash fares far better in that regard.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

All I can think of is "paint."

I think alder is butt-ugly and poplar is one of the few that looks more awful. After all, Leo didn't paint alder because it was the cheaper way to go

Take a look at Ecostain products - http://www.oldgrowthsolutions.com/products.html They could only help.

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ....got it. Thanks for the input. I'll definitely finish it with a hard finish.
    -Bazz-