Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alder / Ebony Basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 12, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    anyone playing or has played an alder bodied bass with an ebony board? how would it sound with a Pbass pickup?

just curious...

2. Strong fundamental tone. Very very nice. A bit more attack than rosewood.

I opted for Brazilian rosewood on my Sadowsky PJ4 with alder body for a bit more warmth. Not better or worse: different.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I have a P bass with an alder body and ebony fingerboard...
    well I iwll receive it very soon, I will let you know how I like it, today or tomorrow.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The body of the bass will make the most difference. Fingerboard contribution is subtle at best on a fretted bass: I will point out here that my Lull P5 has ash body and rosewood fingerboard, and is brighter than any bass I own except my Modulus.

Anyway, I have the most experience with alder and ash. Ash bodies tend to give clear, snappy tone, and are sweet in the upper mids... lots of presence; they cut through the mix very well. Alder body basses have more powerful lows and low mids... .lots of thump and growl. Obviously YMMV, especially depending on the electronics you select.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I had a Peavey Palaedium Jeff Berlin Bass that was an alder body with an ebony board. It sounded really nice.

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

The black Sadowsky 5 in the pic is alder/ebony. Definately more attack or percussive sounding than my other Sad with the morado board. Overall, sweet as could be:D

Rob

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    BP,

great lookin' basses! but one question, have you played a swamp/maple Sadowsky jbass? how did they compare?

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Actually, I used to have one like you described. Ash body, maple neck and board, gold sparkle finish. It had the double J setup like my black bass but it was a 4 string, not a 5 like the black one. I found it to have the fastest attack of all the different type of boards. I personally prefer a morado/rosewood board overall. Roger's preamp is so good, you can take any of these combos and still get a great tone. The only Sadowsky bass I found to sound completely unlike the rest are the 24 fret 5 strings. They have more of a piano type modern tone.

Rob

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

My Imperial 5 has an alder body/ebony board combo. It sounds fantastic, very defined but full sound. I'd recommend the combo in a second.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx Jared,

but again, how does the alder/ebony contrast with say a similar bass made of maple/swamp ash or my Elrick's ebony/swamp ash?

11. Hey, if it's a bolt-on neck construction bass just get it. If you don't like it, have the luthier bolt on a neck with a different fingerboard.