Alder: Good for slappin'???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jan 28, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

that's my question. i'm a swamp ash/maple/ebony guy, but i'm thinking i should go lightweight alder for my next bass for a little variety. i'm thinking of pairing it with a rosie board. would this combo be good for slap playing while still being versatile?
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Alder good, but I would still definitely stick with the ebony board. Maple is good too, but ebony is best. Rosewood is a bit too dull for slapping (or anything, in my opinion).
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i liked the ebony insight tho, cause it backs up what i thought. but what's the tonal diff from alder and ash?
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think Alder has a great slap tone. It is not as bright as Swamp Ash, but it has a much darker tone. I would also have to agree on either a Maple or Ebony fingerboard....I love the sound of Rosewood, but I don't think it has the definition of the other 2 woods.
  6. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I agree. The Jazz I had with ash body/maple fretboard was much brighter than my alder body/rosewood fretboard (although both sound pretty good ;).
  7. jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    I just got an Alder/maple Jazz and I love it. Pops are actually pops not plinks. I tried it back to back with an Ash/Maple and the alder has more low-mid grunt to it.
  8. Alder is great for slap. I hear alder being sweeter and warmer; I hear ash as punchier with less mids.

My Sadowsky jazz 4 string is ash with a maple 'board. It has slap and pop that is amazing.:D

I ordered a Sadowsky PJ4 with alder body + Brazilian rosewood 'board.

I played a couple of alder Sadowsky PJs and the slap tone was to die for! Very different than the jazz bass too. Man, I can't wait (saliva is rolling onto my computer keyboard as I type this post).
  9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i very much prefer alder to swamp ash for slap. to me, swamp ash is like the complete opposite of that marcus miller sound. which is really just the sound of a heavy northern ash jazz. swamp ash doesnt have any of the mid thump that northern ash has which is essential to that type of sound. if youve ever owned a late 70 fender you know what im talking about.

i like pairing alder with an ebony board for more brightness because while i like late 70's jazzes, theyre butt heavy.