Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alder: Good for slappin'???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jan 28, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

that's my question. i'm a swamp ash/maple/ebony guy, but i'm thinking i should go lightweight alder for my next bass for a little variety. i'm thinking of pairing it with a rosie board. would this combo be good for slap playing while still being versatile?

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Absolutely.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Alder good, but I would still definitely stick with the ebony board. Maple is good too, but ebony is best. Rosewood is a bit too dull for slapping (or anything, in my opinion).

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool,

i liked the ebony insight tho, cause it backs up what i thought. but what's the tonal diff from alder and ash?

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you da man, Zoom.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think Alder has a great slap tone. It is not as bright as Swamp Ash, but it has a much darker tone. I would also have to agree on either a Maple or Ebony fingerboard....I love the sound of Rosewood, but I don't think it has the definition of the other 2 woods.

7. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I agree. The Jazz I had with ash body/maple fretboard was much brighter than my alder body/rosewood fretboard (although both sound pretty good ;).

8. jblake

jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    I just got an Alder/maple Jazz and I love it. Pops are actually pops not plinks. I tried it back to back with an Ash/Maple and the alder has more low-mid grunt to it.

9. Alder is great for slap. I hear alder being sweeter and warmer; I hear ash as punchier with less mids.

My Sadowsky jazz 4 string is ash with a maple 'board. It has slap and pop that is amazing.:D

I ordered a Sadowsky PJ4 with alder body + Brazilian rosewood 'board.

I played a couple of alder Sadowsky PJs and the slap tone was to die for! Very different than the jazz bass too. Man, I can't wait (saliva is rolling onto my computer keyboard as I type this post).

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i very much prefer alder to swamp ash for slap. to me, swamp ash is like the complete opposite of that marcus miller sound. which is really just the sound of a heavy northern ash jazz. swamp ash doesnt have any of the mid thump that northern ash has which is essential to that type of sound. if youve ever owned a late 70 fender you know what im talking about.

i like pairing alder with an ebony board for more brightness because while i like late 70's jazzes, theyre butt heavy.