Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alder or Ash Body on 74 Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gareth, Oct 30, 2003.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    How do I tell if the body of my 74 fender jazz is ash or alder.

The bass has one piece maple neck and board with binding and white markers and the finish on the body is sunburst

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Post a pic. Alder and Ash do not look very similar, I think it should be easy to identify the wood just by looking at it. Is there a strong deep grain? Post a pic. It's probably ash if it's sunburst.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

With Fenders through that era, bursts were usually done over alder. That is not to say it absolutely can't be ash... with Fender there can be exceptions.

A strong grain pattern indicates ash. Alder usually has little or no grain pattern.

That said: some Fender 3-color sunbursts were done over a white finish, so if you see no grain, it might possibly be ash underneath. But that might be true for pre-CBS era only. You'd probably see the white undercoat if you pulled the neck, pickguard, or control cover.

4. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    here's some photos

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    [​IMG]

I'm not a wood expert, but the bass in that picture looks like Alder to me. I've never seen Ash look like that.

6. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    heres another one

7. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'd bet that it isn't ash, and if it isn't ash then it's probably alder. :)

9. Is definately not ash, but looking at the grain and the dark shade on it, makes me think it could be poplar.. I have no idea about what those fenders were maed of, but looks like poplar to me.

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Im calling it alder. I had a MIA P that was sunburst over alder and it looked exactly the same as that. Enjoy your bass! :bassist:

11. Well know one knows for sure and there are mixed replies.

So what is it?

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    That's Alder.
    LM

13. Yes, my Fender source, Bill Bolton says you are correct!

[​IMG]
    Treena