1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alder & Rosewood VS Ash & Maple

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jhonnybass, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Rosewood FB & Alder Body

53.6%
  2. Maple FB & Ash Body

46.4%
  1. I want to hear your guys' opinion on these two commonly matched woods and your experiences with them. If you had to pick one bass would it be the bass with an alder body and rosewood fingerboard OR the bass with an ash body and maple fingerboard. You only get to pick one...

GO! :p

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    well 2 of my 3 main basses have Maple boards and ash bodies... so I guess that's what I'd pick again (the 3rd is wenge/ash).

3. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    LOL, I have three basses: alder/maple, mahogany/rosewood and basswood/rosewood. I owned a couple of Jazzes that were ash/rosewood and alder/rosewood, sold them both, neither cut well enough.

I prefer maple necks, easier to see in low light and better attack. The bass I want to get is ash/maple, so I suppose that's what I'll vote for.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Alder for me, regardless of fingerboard wood. For whatever reason, swamp ash doesn't work well with my fingers.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Same here. When I play my ash bodied basses I have to boost my low mids to get the type of punch I like. Alder is my personal favorite body wood, and I prefer a maple fingerboard.

6. I much prefer the sound and feel of an alder body. Fingerboard wood isn't as critical.