1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alder, Swamp Ash and Korina

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SummerSoft, May 10, 2006.

1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    Hi!

I'm very much into guitar woods, but do not know much about them... :meh:
    I'm thinking of making myself a bass with a help of my friend luthier.

I would like to find some combination of woods for the body that would have tonal characteristics somewhere between Alder, Swamp Ash and Korina. So, how could I get that tone..? Perhaps alder body and redwood top would get me close to that sound? Or maybe myrtle top on korina body?
    I know that it depends on the luthier, but theoreticaly, if I had a 3/8" top, what body/top combination could get me closest to the sound I'm after?

Thanks

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    What tonal characteristics are you really after?

I'm of the opinion that you could just find a cool, nice bookmatched top, and then decide between the korina, alder, or ash, which body wood would best compliment the top (both in sound and appearance).
    Then concentrate on the pickups(s)/controls to get you closer to the sound you're after.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Almost agreed! The difference being that the decision on the core material is not as much tone as wieght and appearance, to some extent durability.
    The tonal influence of the body wood is quarter-peanuts compared to the electronics.
    If you like to talk wood and tone at the same time, you like to talk neck....unless you use a lot of graphite stringers...

4. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    + 1

In my opinion korina is one of the best tone woods for a bass body.. Definetly can't go wrong whit that!
    Good luck :)

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Michael Tobias put it best. Dark woods produce deeper / bassier overtones, and light woods produce snappier mid/high overtones. This is always a good rule of thumb for what you might want to achieve. I do not like Korina personally. If I wanted my instruments to sound like Gibsons, I'd just build gibsons. Try a Jatoba body with a bubinga top, or maybe a lacewood top. Zebrawood would work well for the top also.