1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alder variation

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by troyus, Sep 2, 2008.

1. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Luthier dudes: Do you notice a lot of tonal variation with alder form body to body? I'm currently going through a little experiment testing a few naked bodies from different vendors, all alder, all jazz, just curious. Alder has a rep for being consistent, I guess I will soon see. :bag:

2. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    I know the pieces i have in my hand right now Identical cuts from two different tree's felled at the same time from the same region. I have them glued as two piece body blanks, one weighs 5lbs 9oz and the other weighs 5lbs 7oz....

so yeah these are pretty consistent, but I have another identical dimension blank from a completely different region weighs 7lbs even... its also a slightly darker color...

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    all of my Alder stash has taken a vow of silence while it slowly ages in my storage unit

because of this, I hear no difference between the many happy body sets hunkered down in thier cozy boxes, waiting in anticipation for that day when they will be released from their cardboard captivity and thrust into the spotlights of a 'yet to be dusted' new shop

their fate is sealed - the tablesaw cometh when they are least expecting it ... and once the tablesaw has had its way with them they shall be splayed open upon the bandsaw for all to see what was once hidden within

then they shall then cry forth with one tonal voice and speak boldly - "ALDER AM I!!!!!"

... or not

R

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I am both impressed and scared.

;)