Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alec John Such

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JWC, Nov 17, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I was just watching behind the music on vh1 and they were talking about how they had to let Bon Jovi's bassist, Such, go. IT was something about him messing up all the time on stage or something. Whats up with that. You'd have thought after 12 or so years together he would've had those tunes nailed. Ya know?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    some guys just suck. but then again, we have to respect them anyway :rolleyes: ;)

alec john suck

3. I think Alec John Such just fit the look of the band, so they kept him. Hugh McDonald was writing and recording all the bass parts for them anyway, and eventually they just decided he should be in the band.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I read somewhere that he didn't even play the parts on the albums and that they often used an unnamed ghost player.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    lowfrequencyinstrumentsimian -

Dave Siff just answered your implied question: Hugh McDonald was the bassist that actually did the studio work for BonJovi, pretty much from day one. He wrote some pretty hip stuff for pop-metal bass actually. For example, I really dig the line he did for "Living On A Prayer", some cool stuff, particularly in the choruses. AJS was just in the band because he was friends with them and had the right "look" for the band back in the 80's (see my posts in the "Nick Beggs" thread for my opinion of bassists with Aqua Net endorsements... ;) ). I saw them live a few times, and trust me, he was about useless as an actual player. He did LOOK good screwing up though :D.

6. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I really respect the hell out of Alec Such, and I am serious in saying this. Maybe its because our lives were on the same track for a while. When I first joined my first serious band I didn't even know to hit the root note of the bass when the guitarist played a chord on the guitar. I was clueless. I then went and leared all the roots and became a root thumper. And I was terrible at that. But when we hit stage, I always had my leather pants, boots, and wild looking hats (and get this, I played with a pick back then). Now, a few pounds heavier, clad in khaki pants and boots, I can hang with some of the best in town. Its funny looking back though. Even learned finger picking, LOL.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LMAO! :)

Wow. Kip Winger actually has somebody to look down on! :D

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Oh geez....I hate to admit this, but....I've got Kip Winger's last solo CD (gift from a former bandmate)....

....and it's not too damn bad actually. Some good songwriting, pretty good playing, and great production. It ain't Geddy's solo disc, but it's not a coaster either ;).

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, Gard, Kip is not a bad player, and a pretty good singer, but you wouldn't know he could play from listening to a Winger album.

Or from seeing a live show. He would stand there holding the bass and cuddling the microphone half of the time, and all of the low end was gone.

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    he was just a "steady freddy", nothing really wrong with being that is there? that's my whole goal for playing bass. as long as i can just groove and lock up with the drummer, then i am a happy man. no flash from me, don't need it.

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Sean -

If you're referring to AJS, then that's exactly the reason he got canned, he WASN'T a "steady freddy". After 10+ years in the same band, playing the same stuff, he was making the SAME mistakes...and the stuff wasn't even remotely difficult. I'd venture to say that at least 80% of those posting on this board could learn their set in less than a week and do it without major flubs. AJS got the boot cuz he couldn't.

Also, he wasn't able to cut it in the studio. His "excuse" was that the grind of working on the same stuff over and over was too "boring" :rolleyes:. The "buzz" from inside the band is that his performance in the studio was too inconsistent, and he caused the grind by not nailing his parts.

As JT said, "some guys just suck.". ;)

12. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    well in that case, good!

i missed that part of the VH-1 special when they said why he was gone. At the point I was listening to Bon Jovi (1st 3 LPs), I only cared about Torres' and Sambora's musicianship.

:D

13. bearclaw

bearclaw

Nov 13, 2000
    I saw that Behind the Music on Bon Jovi as well. Alec Suck Ass should have remained in Jersey flipping Burgers! Now that takes talent my friends.

About Kip, yeah man "This Conversation Seems Like a Dream" kicks butt from a songwriting standpoint! He can lay it down when he wants to. His gorgeous locks just got in the way during the Winger years. Later,
    Joe

14. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    In the "old days"...the band just would have had Carol Kaye, play the bass parts in the studio...:D

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Well, in the case of Bon Jovi, instead of Carol Kaye, it was Hugh McDonald. They just decided since he was the guy making it happen on the recordings, it made perfect sense to let him do it onstage. A case of talent and hard work being eventually rewarded, however belatedly. :D

16. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    No offense, but Such has achived more fame and success than any of you out on this board.

17. Yeah, and so have the Backstreet Boys. Does that give them musical merit?
    Just because someone achieves fame and fortune doesn't make them worth a damn. We live in a junk culture.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, i doubt there are too many people who know that loser's name, including bon jovi fans.

19. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    He's not a bad player. i don't care.

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Sorry JWC, yes he is. If he were even halfway decent, he'd still have a really good gig. He got canned because he was incapable of doing the job, end of story. In reality, he never really was capable, but his friends (the members of the band) did their best to carry him along. After a bit, even the best friend can become a big, heavy, nasty, smelly wet blanket, ruining the entire joy of playing because of all the errors he or she is making. I'd say the members of Bon Jovi were exceptionally patient with AJS, moreso than I would have been.

If you wish to admire him, that's your prerogative, but don't expect your opinion to sway anyone else's. I'd say based on the general response to this thread, most don't find him to be admirable, but that shouldn't change your opinion, either.

And using the "he's more rich and famous than you are" argument is pretty cheesy. Hey, no one's ever heard of Victor Wooten, other than us bassists, and he certainly hasn't made the money that AJS did, so he must suck, right? :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.