Alec John Such

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by therev, Aug 10, 2012.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Listen, Jon may be the greatest guy in the world and treat Hugh like a prince in every way, but I don't go in for that phony stuff. Everyone knows it's a money thing, and for him to say it's a tribute to a dude they fired a long time ago and didn't even care all that much about when he was in the band is disingenuous. Kind of reminds me of the Howard Stern thing...Howard was his biggest supporter in the old days, but Bon Jovi caved to pressure from other stations in NYC not to go on his show when he finally hit and the New Jersey album came out. Just be real to your fans...that's all I'm saying.

SteveC likes this.
  2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Phoniness is the music business? Why, I've never heard of such an outrageous idea!

mikewalker and DeltaDelta like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I know! It's crazy!

mikewalker and ak56 like this.
  4. jeveauxromagnol

jeveauxromagnol

Nov 14, 2012
    Why didn't he leave the band earlier?

Just because his vocals were phenomenals..

Just listen to "You Give Love A Bad Name" "Runaway" "I'd Die For You" "Raise Your Hands" "Lay Your Hands On Me" "Bad Medicine", ( all , live) .. Such did the HIGH stuff..

5. Drumharm

Drumharm

Sep 6, 2016

6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

From what I understand, it's a similar thing with Darryl Jones from the Stones, but I'm sure to a lesser degree.

Drumharm likes this.
  7. Drumharm

Drumharm

Sep 6, 2016
    I know this is an old thread but certain things lately led to me researching Alec again.
    I met him when I was 20 years old at Whiteface Mountain in Wilmington, Ny where I had a job renting skis to people durin my college winter break. He was extremely nice to a punk kid and I was impressed with him as a human being.
    I had the chance to hang out with him and the keyboardist as well as some of the roadies but I chose to not cancel out on a gig with my band. I know. Stupid. Even my band thought so.
    Anyway, he taught me a little about how the "company" Bon Jovi worked and how he was an employee. He tried to portray it like a good thing but I was aghast. I decided then that Jon was a dick and nothing I have heard or seen has convinced me otherwise.
    I promised myself that I would never be in that position, even if it doomed me to obscurity (and it has) I have always insisted that every person in the original bands that I've been in get equal song writing credit. I would never help push a wagon to the top of a hill and watch someone else roll down the other side without me in it.
    I met Alec in 1988. I felt bad for him even though he was in the biggest band of that time. When I heard he was fired I was angry for him but I was not surprised. When Richie quit I was not surprised. I saw Jon in concert with my wife last summer at Saratoga Performing arts center with cheap groupon tickets (maybe 20 bucks each). He was so bad that I felt ripped off. I also thought "karma baby". I'm sure it kills him to watch his ability fall apart and I think it's justice for someone who I believe is greedy in attention, ego and money.
    I wish Alec and Richie would start a band. I would go to the show and wear a shirt that read "Jon can suck a chode"
    shag that guy.

8. Drumharm

Drumharm

Sep 6, 2016
    Btw. I'm a drummer. Not a bass player. But I always wished I had picked bass instead. I hope that's ok.

mikewalker likes this.
  9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It was over twenty years before they made Ronnie Wood a full member.

Root 5 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  10. johndb

johndb Bass is the Place! Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Illinois
    At this point, it's probable that Darryl will never be an official Rolling Stones member

11. Dave1974

Dave1974

Dec 21, 2012
    To me this is endlessly fascinating a "full" time member that didn't play on the albums but was "allowed" to tour and be in the music videos and the current bass player who as always been in the band but in a recent interview (and slightly out of context) says he doesn't use amps.

at about the 1:14:00 mark.

12. Jackflash85

Jackflash85

Jan 28, 2019
    OK so here it is. For whatever reason Alec John Such couldn't remember his parts live. Maybe he had to be loaded to play live. Or maybe he had anxiety playing live causing him to have difficulty remembering and playing his parts. It is sad he was let go. He fit in the band really well. Now! Jon Bon Jovi was the only one who was signed to a record deal from the beginning. He picked the guys to play in the band. They all worked and do work for him. Welcome to the music biz. Peace everyone ~

13. Such a loss.......................

Thanks cousin Tony.

14. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    svtb15 likes this.
  15. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Its True. You are correct.. .Hugh is my friend for 30 years. spoke with him at NAMM this week..

31HZ likes this.

16. I believe that alec recorded the albums for which he was credited for a simple matter. When I heard "We all Sleep Alone" performed by Cher and Alec John Such recorded this and the version of "Bang Bang 87 '" together with the band and the bass tone is exactly like the recording of "Slippery When Wet", New Jersey and KTF. Alec was very wronged and he really looks like Bill Wyman from Bon Jovi not because he is not replaced but, yes, he was underestimated in the band! When Jon lost his voice in the middle of the "SWW Tour 86-87" Alec was an EQ and voice parameter, Richie mentions something like that in an interview in the early 90s. And Alec joined the band, but Jon pruned Alec! And Jon made a big mistake in 19 years and got the two greatest companions of the band to leave because of their "work extravaganzas"! Alec is one of my favorite bass players and influences !!! But, I really wanted to go back on a tour or even a song Alec and Richie Together with or without bon jovi! Jon may be the owner of the band and be the king of the castle, but by losing Alec and Richie he lost great pillars of the structure!

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I’d take a gig like that. None of the band pressures or expectations. No meet and greats. No Photo shoots or interviews. Just play the show, collect a (probably decent) check and enjoy.

I’d prefer that to being “a star” and dealing with all the crap. Sure, it could end at any time, but any music gig is like that.

18. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Some people are fine with the playing but can’t handle the rigours of touring and the business end that comes with it.

I don’t think it was either party at fault but rather a different view on the way forward. The pressures of recording and touring, playing shows night after night can take a huge toll on a person and sometimes substance abuse and alcohol play into it too.

I’ve e seen plenty of well meaning folks go down that path because of pressure and stress, if we don’t know the absolute truth we really can’t judge, we don’t know how we would react to the same circumstances.

19. Drumharm

Drumharm

Sep 6, 2016
    Eh. shag Jon.

20. Drumharm

Drumharm

Sep 6, 2016
    Lol. Edited my comment. I did not write “shag” but you get it.

mcnach and Spidey2112 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021