Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic Activators + Aguilar OBP-1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ozzyman, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I was wondering If I could wire a bass with Alembic activators and an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. It would have volume, blend, filter (first P/U), filter (second P/U), bass, and treble pots.
    I would think it'd be the ultimate tone monster. :cool:
    Oh and one more question, Could I stack the two filter pots and stack the bass and treble pots so they only take up the space of two pots?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't think you can stack the two filters. The Alembic electronics I've seen have each filter with it's own circuit board.

But no reason I can think why you couldn't put an obp-1 after the alembic in the signal chain. You could do a stacked 25K pot for concentric bass/treble

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If you put an Obp-1 after the Alembic in the signal chain, wouldn't you need 3 9volt batteries in the control cavity of your bass? Thats a lot of space / weight taken up by batteries.

FWIW I have Alembic pickups in my custom with a filter and q-switch for each pickup. At the time of ordering I had the builder ask Alembic how much it would be to add bass and treble controls to the preamp circuit...I cant remember the exact price but it was something astronomical (ie like and extra grand Australian)....:eek:

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You should be able to run them fine on 18v, but it's a good point.

5. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Well, if I were to have just Alembic Activators, would I loose any possible tonal varieties that I have with an OBP-1? Will I be able to access the same tones?
    If that were the case then I'd be happy with a vol/blend pot and two filter pots. Are there any reviews on these Alembic Activators?

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The ALembic Vol/Blen/Filter + Q Switch are very versitile pickups. Arguably there is a lot more tonal variety than a simple bass/treb boost circuit.

I have never found the need for extra bass or treble boost on the preamp on my bass when using the Alembic circuit, however if you are really concerned, you could mount you OBP-1 into a little stompbox to create your own outbaord preamp which you could engage if necessary. Otherwise just adjust the bass and or treble on your amp to suit.

Less knobs on your bass are a good thing! :)

7. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Not to change the subject, but since you guys are talking Alembic P.U.'s- I recently bought one and put it in the bridge position(Kent Armstrong in the neck). It is a more recent model black soapbar with gold lettering. I have the two pickups wired into an EMG BQC preamp and the Armstrong seems to be about twice as loud as the Alembic. They are both positioned appropriately and evenly below the strings. I can hear that the Alembic has a more natural, less colored sound. I've been told that Alembics are quiet, but I thought that was in terms of hum,buzz,hiss,etc...not volume. Whats up? :meh:

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Alembic pickups are active...(ie they need a battery to power the pickups and not just the preamp)...were you aware of this?

If not, this may be the cause of your problem.

9. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York

AH-SO! ;)

10. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Alright, if I was to just get alembic activators do they come in a 3 knob configuration? (ie volume/blend stacked, and two filters) BTW what's the difference between the Q switch and a filter?
    And Alembic say they'll make custom P/U shapes. Can you ask them to make a darker sounding or bright sounding P/U?

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If the wiring for these is +18V and ground, tap off at the 9V point of connection between the two, or if +/- 9V, wire the OBP1 from +9V and 0V. But if I recall correctly, the OBP1 works fine off up to +48V, so for case 1, just connect it in parallel.
    I have no idea how Alembic can justify the costs for their electronics; $A25 in parts and a couple of hours for a decent tech for the added filters (assuming that it was done at the time of construction and space allowed)