Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

alembic anyone?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, Mar 24, 2005.

1. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
  2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    The body shape doesn't really do it for me, but I love the inlay and the figuring of that topwood.

Edit: Upon closer inspection I've decided that I love that body shape :p.

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I thought the pricetag was interesting... :eyebrow:

4. I'm probably the biggest Alembic freak alive (that doesn't actually own an Alembic) and there's not much about that one I like - probably because the owner took it out of the "mold" a bit too far. When it comes to "tree of life" inlay, I prefer the traditional florentine style rather than what they've got there. That sort of looks like it belongs on the leg of the lunar lander for some ET to find in a million years.

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I guess since you added the part in the parentheses your statement is correct. Otherwise I'd have to challenge you to a duel.

This thread probably belongs in Basses.

Hambone, you pretty much nailed the issue with why this didn't move at the Alembic Club. The more custom some of these basses become, the narrower the audience / potential customer base becomes. And when you cross the $2,000 mark, people want what they want, not a "suitable substitute" or something that has "everything except". When I was in the market for a used 5 string Series 2, I looked for months and months and months. Then I found one at a reasonable price, but the owner ordered it with the bottom flattened, instead of having a point or an omega. I couldn't bring myself to buy it 'cause I really like the character the point or the omega adds, so I spent twice as much and ordered new the bass I wanted. With the point. ;)

Peace,

James

6. James, as I wrote that, I was actually thinking of you and your collection. No kidding! Who here on TB wouldn't? ;)

7. that's actually cheap! a basic alembic can set you back 7 or 8 grand easily! let alone a vintage 76 with custom ms. wickersham inlay (rick probably worked on this bass himself)

8. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    The reason it struck me was because of how odd it did look for an Alembic. There's no maple in the neck. I'm wondering what kind of wood the top wing laminates is?? I've never seen an Alembic with that kind of wood either. The fingerboard inlays are pretty dam cool though, like John Paul Jones' Alembic. I'm not an Alembic fanatic, but when I was thinking about the bass, Hambone popped into my mind cuz i know he's a hippie sandwhich Alembic phreak.......and i was interested in what he might have to say about the bass...but i guess there's more alembic conniseurs on here. :D
    I really did love getting their factory tour.
    Mika (Mica?) was very nice!

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Mica. And she is very nice! And very knowledgeable about basses, especially building them.

How's this for a bass with no maple.....Ebony and Purpleheart. Heavy heavy heavy. And probably tone for days!

[​IMG]

Peace,

James

10. Days is probably how long you'd have to wait for the note to decay too! But sure as shootin' some young whippersnapper would probably wanna put a friggin' Badass on it. You know, cuz fIeLDy duz. :rolleyes: