ALEMBIC Bass Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 57pbass, Apr 3, 2017.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I am in the possession of 2 Alembic 2 x 15 bass cabinets that I purchased in the mid 70's. directly from Alembic. I had to pick them up at JFK/American Airlines freight division...too big for UPS..
    They are in very good condition and have been in storage for many years since they are not practical for the types of shows I have been playing. They are constructed of 15 ply birch and look very similar to the Bag End Birch cabinets..I used JBL K Series speakers with a 1972 SVT head..just a crystal clear massive sound..
    I am just putting this out there to see if there is any member who might know about these cabinets and to see what feedback I get from the bass community.

I'll get some pix posted ASAP..

I'm not sure what I will be doing with them..cutting them down to single 15's has been suggested but I don't think I'll be doing that..

Thanks

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    IIRC Bag End was born from Alembic. Hence, the similarities.

EdwardofHuncote and 57pbass like this.
  3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I guess this is why I am a huge fan of Bag End cabs..thanks

Iristone likes this.
  4. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Get some pictures up!

And definitely dont cut them in half! Jesus, what kind of sick f_ would suggest ruining cool, unusual, and rare vintage cabs? If you want a light single 15 go buy a new GK.

boamedt likes this.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I'll start by pinging @edwinhurwitz, who will probably have some valuable insight. Not sure if Rick Turner is on TB, but I've interacted with him recently on Facebook and he would probably also know quite a bit.

I used to share bills occasionally in Seattle back in the mid to late 80s with a guy who played in Robert Hunter's band and also with Keith and Donna Godchaux and had some of the tie dyed Dead cabs from one of their old rigs. It always sounded great, but looked like a real PITA to schlep around. Not sure if those were Alembic pieces, but at the time I assumed they were.

57pbass likes this.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    There were several semi-related guys/companies all building similar cabinets around that time... including John Meyer, Mark Wayne, Kaj/Kent Kline (Production Logic), Raul Suarez (Third Ear), Harry McCune, Ken DeLoria (Apogee) and Sound on Stage and maybe even FM Productions all come to mind as well.

It was a pretty cool time the be in the audio business (especially as it was relatively local), I started in the industry as this era began winding down. Got to work with most of these guys before they retired or passed away.

7. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Post some pics, i might be able to cruise by Alembic for you on friday

edwinhurwitz likes this.
  8. andertone

andertone

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Agedhorse wrote

>It was a pretty cool time the be in the audio business (especially as it was relatively local), I started in the industry as this era began winding down. Got to work with most of these guys before they retired or >passed away.[/QUOTE]

And it was a fantastic time to be 19 years old and watching all this unfold. Seeing Mr Casady and Lesh and the Alembic folks change
    the face of live sound. All the innovators who bumped up the curve. Oh, and yes, following the great Wall of Sound and hearing just an amazing PA

edwinhurwitz likes this.
  9. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    Those cabs are good, artifacts of a bygone era..museum pieces really..but in terms of the current state of the art bass cabinet aren't they sort of "Old and In The Way" ? :) Drum press roll, baba baa bah boom!!!!

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Perhaps with a little "Purple Sage" trim?

Rich Fiscus, MR PC and jlepre like this.
  11. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I'd suggest posting a message on the Alembic Web site forum www.alembic.com

12. adrian mccullou

adrian mccullou

Dec 14, 2009
    I have a brown soun 2x12 that comes from the same DNA. If I can help you in any way, I have friends in San Rafael who have close ties with The GD, tone tubby and the guys who built this cab. I think Alembic comes from this same lineage if I am not mistaken. 1 (3).jpg

13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Adrian, your cabinet would have come with a full face reinforced grill. The original offset mounts are still there.

14. adrian mccullou

adrian mccullou

Dec 14, 2009
    wow, that's interesting. After I recone these E120s I would love to restore the grill to the original vibe. I havent been able to find any example....and I don't mean to Hijack this thread. Sorry if I have intruded, just wanted to contribute to a subject I am very much interested in..... Also I want to see that Alembic cab!!!! pics please

15. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    I'd love to see pics, too!

If you are looking to get original tie-dye grilles, Courtenay Pollock is still doing amazing work and his prices are very reasonable. Not the most acoustically transparent grilles, but certainly striking.

CourtenayTie Dye Shirts and Tie Dye Designs

wyrtti likes this.
  16. I saw the Wall of Sound once in my youth. The experience was transmogrifying!

17. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
    Bag-End-Bass-Cabinet5.jpg

18. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
  19. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009