1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alembic basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the walrus, Jan 7, 2012.

1. the walrus

the walrus

May 21, 2011
    Are there any cheap alembic basses?

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Only the stolen ones from a drug user!

Dan K.

3. SDMFJay

SDMFJay

Jan 27, 2011
    Never seen any under $1000 used.

4. I have, but in serious need of repair.

5. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have always differentiated between "cheap" and "inexpensive". To me, cheap means crappy, poorly made, of little value. Inexpensive just means it doesn't cost much, and has no reflection on quality.

"Cheap" Alembics don't exist. "Inexpensive"? The used Alembics that go for $1500 - $2000 where likely $8000 - $ 10,000 new. And the instruments that were $15,000 - $20,000 new might be found for $5,000 used.

Whether or not that qualifies as inexpensive depends on your disposable income............

If you ever put your hands on a nice used one, any model, you will wish you had (or be glad you have!) the money.

JBY

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It depends on what you call cheap, but generally, no.

I paid $1500 for my used Epic 5, which was about the going rate at the time, and the Epic is an "entry level" Alembic. It's a great bass.

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1. IMO there's nothing else like an Alembic. Some folks love them, others don't, -I personally think they're the pinnacle of a high end, custom made bass.

And if you're lucky enough to find a used Alembic that's specs match up to/or are close to your personal specs, IMO you'll be very happy you had the money saved, or on hand to buy it.

8. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Considering how much they cost new, used ones are pretty cheap IMO.

9. 1990 I purchased a Alembic Spoiler four string for $600. The music store that had taken in trade didn't think it was worth much.

The hair metal salesman was shocked I even wanted it. He referred to it a "That damn canoe paddle."

I smiled and handed him my money. It's a spectacular bass.

10. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Wow, that means they probably gave the guy who traded it in only ~$400-500 for it.

11. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    kawai = cheap alembic ...its definitely not the same thing

12. Probably more like $300-$400.

13. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I just picked up an Alembic Essence 5 with optional flame walnut top for $1600. New it sells for $8000 on the dot. My first one, a Spolier, 30 years ago, cost $1750 new. My second one, A Distillate Exploiter, around 1988 cost $1700. At that time, they were around $2800 new.

Alembics seem to have gone up a lot over the last 10-15 years because even the Essence model has doubled or more since that time. I am done. This last one is a keeper. 3 times proves it.