alembic blue steel custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Oct 15, 2003.

1. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    this bass has been at bass northwest for quite a while, and i can't figure out looks pretty bomm. anyone else try it out? i think i'm gonna this weekend :D

alembic bass pics
  2. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    i saw it the other day, looks pretty nice, too bad im to far away to give it a try. :/
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I don't know about anybody else, but I wouldn't want to spend big, big bucks on a custom bass that had a cheesy paint job covering up the woods. There's also an all-black Fodera six at one of the online bass stores that holds no appeal for me for the same reasons. Especially for the prices Alembic and Fodera charge. Any idea what the selling price of that one is?
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm with Bryan on this one. If I'm going to spend coffee-table-bass money, then I want a coffee-table bass.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This is a bass that does NOT look like 5,000$ if I ever saw one.
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i think bassnw is letting it go for about half that. i saw the black fodera edwards 6's at bass central, i believe...sweet looking bass. and the alembic is made of mahogany...i seriously doubt that there is a "10 top" underneath the paint. i'm going to find out how much it is exactly and what it sounds like probably this weekend. i like painted basses though ;)
  7. Well, it's $2000 for the instrument and $3000 for the Alembic name. Alembic makes nice instruments but there are dozens of other luthiers that make instruments of comparable quality that charge a whole lot less.

I guess it's supply and demand. If people are willing to pay more for an Alembic then they can charge more.

- Dave
  8. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    [yoda voice]
    My cup of tea not this is
    [/yoda voice]
  9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Yeah, this doesn't have any of the things I like about Alembics --- fancy woods, series electronics. Looks kinda like a funny Ibanez to me. :p

And that Edward model Fodera at BC - dang! six grand for . . . black. I know it's a bit of a hang-up, but that's just not right. :D

I really like the Edward model on the Fodera webpage.