Alembic Club at Talk Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by victorlion, Mar 26, 2012.

Tags:
  1. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I don't currently have any Optima Gold strings on my Alembics but I do have them on a couple of other basses and they are by far my favorite round wound string on every bass I've put them on so far. They sound excellent and last at least 4 times longer than my other brand Rounds. Looks are killer with gold or brass hardware.
    Here's some on one of my Thunderbirds...
    IMG_1869.JPG IMG_1871.JPG IMG_1880.JPG
    Not a cheap round wound but very long lasting. I don't think the Optima flats are gold colored.

KentClarkOnBass likes this.
  2. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I know the pyramids are named “gold” but I don’t believe they are. I played the La Bella gold flats, meh. I played the white/gold tapes and the gold, since it’s phosphor bronze, changes colors and in some cases goes green.

I’ve heard good things about Optima gold rounds, as noted above, which are gold. I’d be willing to give them a try, but I’m digging the Alembic strings at the moment.

3. That's what I'm talking about! Those T-birds look fantastic, this is the effect I was hoping for! And if they sound great and last forever, bonus.

Yeah, that's one reason I asked here... searching online is a mixed bag because usually you get a picture of the string packaging but not a picture of the string itself. :bag:

BassJuju likes this.
  4. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    I used Optima strings on my fretless 4 string (not mine anymore sold it for SI funding)
    Seemed the right (only) choice for this bass:

06frontfull.jpg
    06headfront.jpg

Sounds great, but they will turn ugly when they're worn. (rusty)

kesslari, scottm, oldfretless and 4 others like this.
  5. Oh my! That fretless of @FC Bass looks so good, I would never notice if the strings got worn out. :woot: That was a great choice for that bass.

6. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Im thinking of getting some for my series 2 but they are quite expensive. How long were they in use before rusting stated?

7. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I had a set on a bass that I played nearly daily, they lasted about 4 years before starting to die. I made the mistake of boiling them to see if I could get a bit more life. Instant rust, went dead in days. That's the only time I've seen rust on any of my sets. The Thunderbird pic I shared earlier was taken about a year after the strings were on (the bass is probably played about 8 hrs a week). I've now had those strings on for about 5 years and no rust yet. I expect to get a couple more years out of them.

Some people have very acidic sweat, I apparently don't. I also live in SoCal where humidity is relatively low year round and I don't gig or transport with that thunderbird, so it doesn't see many changes in temp or humidity. YMMV

PS - if you get a set, note there are two different types. IIRC the difference is in the core, hex vs round. I found the "Unique" set to feel a little firmer and slightly less floppy (neither set actually feels floppy). Either set will have a bit less sizzle on the top end and slightly reduced finger noise vs standard nickel Rounds.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  8. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I can confirm, Pyramid Gold Flats are not gold in color. I had them on my '81 Distillate for a while. Nice old-school thump.

Resized_20190929_064647_6064.jpeg

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I can reconfirm that. When I got my 4001V63 in the winter of '05 it had PGFs on it. Not a trace anything gold on them.

10. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Sorta out of the blue - experimented with recording direct to my iPhone, didn't work the way I planned but iMovie let me put everything together. Bass track is Stanley Clarke Signature Squared 5-string -> CAE V-Comp compressor -> Boss PQ-3B parametric equalizer -> Cafe Walter -> Zoom H6

I didn't bother cleaning anything up, I was just happy to get everything on YouTube! (And apologies, I never played the B string in this)

timplog, RVBASS, Mik Walker and 2 others like this.
  11. RVBASS

RVBASS Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Nice, Hieronymous! :) Just wondering, what does Signature Squared mean?

hieronymous likes this.
  12. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Signature Squared is my nickname for this bass - technically it's a Stanley Clarke Signature Standard, but the original owner ordered it with some upgrades, like fancy wood on the back (bubinga on mine) and continuous control plate, so it's kind of a custom standard. I had it upgraded to Anniversary electronics, so there's another "non-standard" aspect. So it's not a normal Standard but it's definitely not a deluxe, which has purpleheart laminates in the neck. But the kicker came when I managed to get it signed on the back of the headstock by Stan the Man himself! It's a Signature with a Signature - so it's my Signature Squared! Or should I say, Signature²

50940539633_7bf78cfb42_o.jpg

13. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I had forgotten that detail... that's such a cool extra touch. Nice flash of Bubinga on the headstock reverse too, looks like.

hieronymous likes this.
  14. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    This is the only pic I could find of the back of the body - it's warming up here in California, so I'll wistfully look back on winter with this Alembic "snow" ornament too:

11538665163_b1a0f176ea.jpg

15. I hope you all survived the Great Data Center Fire TalkBass Outage of 2021. :nailbiting: Update on the "gold string" idea: I did get the Optima Unique roundwounds (exact same strings as @GBassNorth ) and I like them a lot! I thought it would look great but it exceeded my expectations, really tying together the brass and the gold (oh and they sound pretty good too). I'm not sure if it's the reflections or an optical illusion, they even make the frets look a little bit golden. Photos don't capture it, but here are a couple anyway:
    5SSM_BjVQ7fAjtE_GoYDileoo562ZlgOtAwhdxhbjh41BA6Gpsji8ZdlDZNvcmVYX9aI37W=w1255-h941-no?authuser=0.jpg

QkkLu-XjHurwRe8y_zVqjO__CiquPiZL97Llxkam8VMnoFZoOIN8w7jV9IOQxphdtFjhUgaw=w706-h941-no?authuser=0.jpg

ZTe--YeokFJmbA3m3Ib-5KvUhlDueFeUU398TKE3o-j2zG8AjhkqOfatdIgzJN-w4ZJDR5qu=w706-h941-no?authuser=0.jpg

GBassNorth, scottm, timplog and 6 others like this.
  16. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    You could have some Evo Gold fretwire installed next time they need it. ;)

EVO Gold frets; rosewood.jpeg Evo Gold frets.jpeg

17. Drog

Drog

Feb 3, 2020
    I recently purchased two Alembic basses, they blow me away each time I play them.
    qYLK8Pz.jpg
    Mark King Standard 5

w5X9XJM.jpg
    Orion

18. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Two new alembics in one go you must be celebrating something to treat yourself so well. I hope you have fantastic and long lasting affection for these incredible basses.

timplog, FC Bass and Drog like this.
  19. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    Love the Omega (not heart) on your MK. Sweet!

20. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Cupholder! :D (I favor this feature as well... and would just as soon not have to pick favorites)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021