Alembic Club at Talk Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by victorlion, Mar 26, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    @FCbass, i hope you have some gigs lined up for those basses. Do the other guys in your band have to make such large outlays of money for their instruments?

FC Bass likes this.
  2. sixway

sixway

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Nicely Done! great groove, and the bass, thru your phone has that "old school" mellow sound that I like... plus the Alembic adds just a bit of "zing" on the top... love it! I own an Epic 5-string...

hieronymous and FC Bass like this.
  3. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    They have Families, so they get away with LTD guitars. (very Nice ones)
    Though our Lead guitar player also has a Gibson V and early 90's Jackson USA Randy Rhoads :cool:

Included with the LTD's is this very rare set neck MX130:
    LTDMX130.jpg

No gigs yet... But they will come :)

EdwardofHuncote and hieronymous like this.
  4. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Thanks! The audio is actually direct into Zoom H6 - none of the iPhone audio is in the clip.

RVBASS and FC Bass like this.
  5. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Here's another video of my Stanley Clarke Signature Squared, this time with delay. Just improvising, trying to keep going when I screw up!

The delay is my old Big Briar MF-104 Moogerfooger - it was rare until they reissued them. I didn't like it much on bass - too easily overdriven, and very dark - but this was fun.

6. Sounds great!
    thanks for posting this video.
    delay on bass can be tricky, but you managed to find a very tasteful balance here.

hieronymous likes this.
  7. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Thank you sir! Normally I might overdub some delay on a solo, but it was fun to do the whole thing with delay. I also normally don't use the Moogerfooger delay with bass - it overloads easily and is very dark - but I think it worked this time.

8. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Three gigs confirmed in the next three weeks... after a very long dry spell. The first one is Saturday, a backyard barbeque party for first-responders and teachers. Since Rick Turner probably won't be bringing me any famous classic Alembics to play, guess I'll have to take one of my own to the stage. :D

Jeff Scott, hieronymous and FC Bass like this.
  9. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Had a great time entertaining about 100 First Responders, Police, and Teachers and their families last night at a big backyard party. It was the first time we had played together in almost 7 months.

Played my Custom fretless 5-string for most of the night. Hard to believe it's 4 years old today. 5/16/2017 doesn't seem like that long ago... until you think about all that's happened in those years.

Greg & C14588.jpeg

Anyway, sure was nice to see the guys and finally play some music again. :)

10. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Cool shot Greg, I hope the gig went great.

timplog and EdwardofHuncote like this.
  11. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky

Beautiful bass... I hope to have a similar fretless one day in the near future.

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  12. RVBASS

RVBASS Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I have a bass where when I press down on the low E at the 13th fret the string buzzes on the 10th fret. This is the only occurrence of buzzing on the entire fretboard. Any thoughts on how to eliminate this isolated buzzing?

13. UpperBout

UpperBout

May 15, 2008
    Near Chicago Illinois USA
    Webmaster, Muckelroy Basses (GetAMuck.com)
    High frets can happen from:
    1. The fret is unseated in the slot
    2. changes to the neck itself
    3. wear surrounding the area on other frets.
    If it's #1, re-seating the fret, for example gluing under clamping is the solution. Some leveling and dressing may also be required. If the slot has lost integrity, that can still be addressed, but that's the point at which I'd be calling my favorite luthier

If it's #2, that could be a big job, which might involve de-fretting, adjusting the truss rods so the neck is straight, then leveling the board and re-fretting.

If it's #3, Assuming you have enough fret material left (height-wise) leveling and dressing the frets can be a solution. But you want to be careful that the root cause is not either #1 or #2 above, because you'll be fixing a problem that is likely to recur.

I fixed a similar problem on one of my other basses, and a short leveling beam, some sand-paper, a sharpie, and a dressing file was all that was needed (and lot of study on YouTube). StewMac also makes something called the "fret kisser" which is designed to address the problem you describe. Don't have experience with that one myself, but it looks like a well coneiceved solution that could save some steps.

It's probably worth a new (or at least different) set of strings to make sure a kink or other defect in the strings is not part of the issue.

If it's isolated to a single spot on the neck, cause #1 is probably the most likely explanation.

And BTW, to qualify my observations: I'm no luthier, but I've built myself 3 basses and leveled and dressed the fret board on one, resolving the exact issue (on a different fret) that you are experiencing.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    timplog, RVBASS and Mik Walker like this.
  14. RVBASS

RVBASS Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Upperbout, thanks very much for the feedback, I will look into what you suggest. I was also reading that it may have to do with the nut slot being cut too deep, I will look into that as well. Thanks!

15. RVBASS

RVBASS Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Massachusetts
    My bass has an adjustable nut. I raised the E string side a hair and that cured it, buzzzing is gone :)

growlypants, timplog and UpperBout like this.
  16. UpperBout

UpperBout

May 15, 2008
    Near Chicago Illinois USA
    Webmaster, Muckelroy Basses (GetAMuck.com)
    Glad to hear it!

17. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    The adjustable nut is one of Alembic’s great inventions!

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  18. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Took delivery of my first Alembic 7 years ago today. It took a while to get it back to spec, but what a great time I've had with it ever since.

Greg & 89P5559.jpeg

Special Thanks to @FC Bass. I wouldn't be here without ya'. :bassist:

19. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Recorded a clip of my Alembicized Guild M-85 II (the AleM-85) playing along with some '74 Dead - been working on my Phil style. I used to be really uncomfortable playing Dead tunes, his style is so weird and NOT what a traditional bassist plays, but I feel like I'm growing into it.

There's some weird static throughout that I need to track down (grounding issue?) and my intonation is off (I figure it's not bad for not having picked up this bass in a year) but I like the sound I got (recorded direct with CAE/CAJ V-Comp tube compressor into Boss PQ-3B parametric equalizer)

20. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    [ 130600.jpg QUOTE="EdwardofHuncote, post: 25364733, member: 248401"]

Special Thanks to @FC Bass. I wouldn't be here without ya'. :bassist:[/QUOTE]
    Special thanks to @FCbass , i wouldn’t have this bass without him telling me where it was on sale after being withdrawn from Station Music in Germany.

gearHed289, Drog, Jeff Scott and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021