Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by luknfur, Dec 27, 2005.

1. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Technically a pup/electronics thing but I'm guessing the Alembic players spend a lot more time in this forum than that one.

Picked up an old set of Alembic PJ pups/preamp sort of equivalent (or may even be) to the current activator stuff. Searched through the Alembic club forum but actually found more useful info searching TB. Too complex for me but I know the sounds it puts out so that's sufficient in that respect. But do have a few basic questions.

1) does it matter which "volume" pot which lead goes to? In other words, is the filter designed to work with the pups the same no matter which lead goes to which pot?

2) The preamp consists of 2 "volume" controls and filter pot all with PCBs. The pups themselves have army greyed out so I'm guessing the whole package is fairly old. I assume Alembic has changed these things over the years. Does anybody know?

3) The pups I'm assuming are active? I didn't think about sticking a wire back into the clips to get meter reading before installing them.
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    If you can't find the info here, don't hesitate to give Alembic a ring. They're pretty nice people. And don't be surprised if you end up talking with Ron Wickersham himself.
  3. crgaston

Dec 23, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    They are active, but you don't mention a battery connection anywhere, so maybe it's missing? It shouldn't matter which volume pot goes to which pickup, then they should both go to the filter, then to the output. Beyond that I can't help. Here's Alembic's phone #.
    They still make the exact same setup, so anything you need they will have.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    The premap/harness is complete with clip and jack, I didn't mention it cause it didn't seem pertinent. All clips were in place so it was assembled except the pups clipped in. This unit has the older burnt orange rectangular clips as oppposed to the newer pin type clips. Don't know when they changed that over, I get the impression within the last year or so maybe.
  5. I've seen those clips...
    1.) I've never tried switching connections on purpose or had a reason to, but that's probably up to you, so if you want your neck pickup controlled by the bottom volume knob, have at it.
    2.) Alembic has changed materials a few times over the years. If your pickups have kind of a greenish look to them, yours were made during the same run as the neck pickup in my ex-Spoiler, which was the best Alembic I ever heard until I got my Series 2.
    3.) Yes, they're active.
  6. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    The pickups don't have a preamp inside them so they aren't active. I've used Alembic pickups wired to passive controls and they sounded great but very very low output.