Alembic Custom of the Month

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Jan 11, 2004.

1. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    This is one of those basses that you either love or hate, but love it or hate it, you've GOTTA respect the attention to detail in the workmanship. Click the link for details. The inlay is INSANE

Alembic Jan 04 Custom

2. man i want an alembic
  3. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Now that's attention to detail! Amazing workmanship.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For some reason i still dont like Alembics, hmm.. I guess they just arent my thing. Maybe bc ive never played one? But i dislike the looks.
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I seen this as was built (in pictures). They were in constant contact with the customer every step of the way, seeing where he wanted controls, inlay detail, bridge design. There is some serious customizations going on at Alembic... That being said, its not my favorite... THIS is...[​IMG](One day, its gonna turn up on Ebay...I'll be waiting...)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

cool bass, i bet that is one $$$$ bass they do great work thogh.
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep, that's kinda what they do. Have you seen one of their order forms? It is pages and pages long and you really do get to choose everything.
  8. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    As much as I love the artistry and workmanship involved in every Alembic I have ever seen, they are insane to be charging prices like these. I used the get-a-quote function and came back with a $16,500 estimate. My Expedition is costing me less than that. Aand my bank gave me a loan for it. My bank wouldn't look kindly on me asking for a loan that big for something that could be carried off.

Who can afford these things?:help: :crying: :bawl:
  9. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Actually the insanity is rooted in the customers who are writing the checks, sayeth the fella that has owned 6 of 'em. ;)

10. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Do they have treatment programs for folks like you? Is Alembic-Owners Syndrome a recognized diagnosis yet?
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Okay, noone else noticed that this is a Warwick Buzzard? :confused: :D

(I know it mentions it on the site.)
  12. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The only known cure is the hair o' the dog :bassist:

That or an Ibanez to the side of the head, usually applied by a spouse.

13. hey.. the first bass i ever played was a alembic five string custom. i used it a lot.. because it was my friends dad.. and he tought me a lot. he didnt realyl look into stuff much, and his wife got him his for a present, but she never told him how much it was. they got divorced.. and later on he sold it for about under 1,000 or less. I think 850.

at one time, he was going to sell it to me for 500. WHY! WHY DID I PASS IT UP! i didnt have any money. I could of sold that sucker on ebay for so much more.. how much are they realyl worth
  14. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Awesome Buzzard tribute/spinoff. Bet JAE would have liked that bass.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Shoe salesmen. I saw a survey. Seriously.
  16. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Maybe we should do a similar survey here on TB. What do you play vs what you do for a living. It may be interesting to see whether there is any link between bass playing and jobs!
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Great idea.
  18. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I make my living playing the violin... yet I have never bought a violin... I buy basses.
  19. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000