1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alembic Custom of the Month

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Jan 11, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Thats a great question, alembic owners what do you do for a living to be able to afford custom alembics. How much hand work goes into alembics?, i am sure custom inlays are done by hand but i here they use cnc.

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I got my Orion from Ebay; less than $900, and I'm a lowly clerk/technician...(Boo hoo for me...)

3. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    This bass really isn't my cup o' tea but I believe this bass is one of their coolest pieces of workmanship. I'd love to see it up close.

Bones

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If you go to The Alembic Club you can actually see much of their bass making process. Follow the link to the Factory to Customer section and click through the various threads. Many of them show neck construction, some contour shaving, etc. They do have CNC for cutting out a lot of the "standard" body templates, but a great deal of the work is done by hand. Keep in mind they also make all their bridges, brass adjustable nuts, pickups, and other hardware that most manufactures buy.

As far as what I do for a living...I'm in Product Portfolio Management for a fairly large automaker.

Peace,

James

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    now where have we seen this design before?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86003&

That thread, but all the pics are gone....bah!

Anyone have a pic of the original bass?

I dig the alembic, seriously. I love how the curvyness of the alembic works with the shape, whereas the original was more of a slab.

[edit] I just looked at the Alembic site, and what is this? they give no credit to the original creator of the design! unless the designer of the original bass is the one buying it and is letting Alembic take credit for it, something's not cool here. :meh:

6. I don't think I'd want a bass that has more inlay than wood in the fingerboard.

Nice looking bass besides that.

7. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    maybe I'm missing something, but the Russian bassbuilder didn't claim the design - looks like he gives himself 5% credit; the rest he credited to Susan Wickersham & the guy buying it, with what appears to be an extensive back-and-forth during the design period.

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    As I recall it (a lot of the Factory to Customer thread on this one is archived) the buyer contacted Alembic about making a Buzzard bass. They explained that they could not copy another manufacturer's headstock, so the buyer started making changes. Other club members started chiming in with suggested mods, some of which the buyer accepted.

I do not know if the buyer is the same person who posted the picture on TB that you referred to. I do recall the picture, and I don't believe the buyer is in Russia, so it probably is different people.

Also, Alembic sort of melded the buyer's design with a design they were already working on for JAE before he died.

All that is to say that it appears the final product is based on an Alembic interpretation of the original JAE Buzzard, tweaked to the buyer's specifications.

Peace,

James