Alembic demos?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Can anybody direct me to a sound sample of an Alembic? I'm considering getting one, but I'd to at least get a feel for the sound, rather than go by everybody else's opinions.

And I checked the local GC, no Alembics. And there isn't anything worth a crap at the pawn shops here.
  2. my personal fave is anything with Jimmy Johnson. check him playing with guys like Dave Grusin, Allan Holdsworth, Flim and the BB's, etc. also check out stan the man as well as mark king.
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
  4. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
  5. Yep, Alembic is for me. Thanks guys.
  6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    You may also want to listen to most everything that's popular by Kool & The Gang, before Kool switched to Modulus (I think). Also, most everything done by Rose Royce, including "Car Wash", a lot of the Brothers Johnson's early stuff, particularly the "Right On Time" album (Strawberry Letter 23) and early Fleetwood Mac stuff. I'm sure there's a ton of other examples. The ones I mentioned are the ones that tend to surprise people 'cause they're things you hear all the time, but they don't have the Stanley Clarke tone, even though they use Alembics.

7. malthumb, i'm not familiar with all of the examples you cited, but i would once again like to recommend Jimmy Johnson's playing. he would fall in to that category of 'not sounding like stanley', and he gets so many wonderful tones out his alembic. from tight jazz bass oriented fingerstyle tones to loose p type tones, its all there. wonderfull player as well.