1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alembic Elan 6 questions before buying

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Adam Groves, May 17, 2019.

1. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    If the bass feels, plays and sounds good to you, it's your money, go for it. If it were me, I would definitely pass. I think one of the things that make an Alembic an Alembic is its proprietary electronics. The low pass filter is at the soul of the bass. Maybe for your consideration, here's a 6 string Alembic in Seattle.

Alembic Orion 6st. | The Bass Shop

It's an Orion which is set neck but it has the upgraded Essence Electronics. Seems like a really fair price too.

Happy Hunting.
    Bones

DeltaPhoenix and Adam Groves like this.
  2. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    A glued piece of wood is stronger than an unglued piece. Still I think the price is on the higher side.
    None of that matters if you want it and want it because you want to play it, don’t buy it if the repair is going to bother you.

Adam Groves likes this.
  3. Buy cheap and dump a pile of cash into it and you still have a beater.
    I would just look for a nice, clean, stock one that hasn't been through the wringer.
    It will likely cost about the same in the long run as what you are thinking to do.

DeltaPhoenix and Adam Groves like this.
  4. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Honestly, I can't think of a better reply to your question - if you really feel that you need THIS Alembic, and no other. And, I do know that feeling - sometimes to my sorrow later on, but there you go. Otherwise? Unless you can get it for really cheap - and I mean, really cheap - I'd say give it a pass, and hold out for one in better condition...:cool:

Adam Groves likes this.
  5. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    I'm afraid I can't answer that question for you; all I can do is answer the same question for myself, which really isn't the right solution for you. Best wishes.

For those curious about why I find it difficult to imagine a broken headstock on an Elan 6, check out the photo below. There are multiple laminates running both vertically and horizontally that would have to break. Further, the scarf joint at the end of the ebony fingerboard is 7/8" thick (about 2.25 cm) while the neck is 2 5/8" (about 6.65 cm) wide at the nut. A six-string Elan is an unusually beefy beast.

upload_2019-5-18_13-14-38.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Missing electronics = 1/2 price
    Broken hs? 1/2 again.

I’m less than 1k on this thing.

Adam Groves likes this.
  7. Adam Groves

Adam Groves

Aug 12, 2018
    This bass looks quite nice. Problem is, I live in SE Asia. So most of the purchasing I can do with reasonable shipping is from Japan.

8. Adam Groves

Adam Groves

Aug 12, 2018
    Thanks so much for this reply! Great information.

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  9. Adam Groves

Adam Groves

Aug 12, 2018
    Just to update you all, I offered him 1100, that's quite a drop from his asking price. He turned it down and wished me luck finding an Alembic at that price. Thing is, I think he put money into it and wants to recover it, so I understand that. I will just keep looking for an Alembic 6. I tend to agree with people on here about the authenticity of the bass after so many changes. I played an Epic 4 for over two decades. I bought it used with every last cent I had. That was and remains the best purchase I have ever made. That bass inspires me when I play it. I like the hybrid angle with this Elan, but it's not an Alembic without the electronics. I agree. Thanks TB

Manticore likes this.
  10. Adam Groves

Adam Groves

Aug 12, 2018
    Just to update you. I bought the bass you recommended. I made the choice because it is close to the Epic 4 I own, which has been the best bass I have ever owned. And to be honest, I prefer set neck basses, having spent many years playing an Epic. There is something weirdly flat about neck through basses which sorta bothers me. I want to love them but don't. Anyway, I intend to update about the bass when it arrives, in a few days actually. I have always played a 4 string but coming back to playing, I am ready for the change to 6. So I was really happy you posted this bass because it was priced at a reasonable point.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

charlie monroe and DeltaPhoenix like this.
  11. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Very cool. I really think that Orion is a pretty special bass.

Please post pics when it arrives.

Bones

Adam Groves likes this.
  12. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    Congratulations!

Adam Groves likes this.
  13. It must have been a great instrument. They've sold it now.

14. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Yes and to the OP. I think this will be a great bass for him.
    Bones

TolerancEJ and Manticore like this.
  15. Adam Groves

Adam Groves

Aug 12, 2018

Attached Files:

16. Adam Groves

Adam Groves

Aug 12, 2018
    yeah, a great bass indeed. not as hot in the preamp as the Epic but sounds more refined without losing growl and tone strength. Thanks again!

17. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Is that Koa over Mahogany?

Looks beautiful!

I’m happy for you that you bought this and not the distressed bass from your OP

Adam Groves likes this.
  18. Adam Groves

Adam Groves

Aug 12, 2018
    Here are the pics. Strange, it was listed for over a year on a local seller / buyer site. After I gave him feedback on it via TB anonymously, the listing was taken down. The thing is the listing never mentioned the headstock fracture. He only told me when I came to see it. I felt a bit odd about that. In the end, I do think he loves this instrument and invested a lot in it. Passing on something like that can be personal so I don't hold it against him.

Attached Files:

19. Adam Groves

Adam Groves

Aug 12, 2018
    I have all the original documentation including catalog and warranty card. It is flame maple on the top. I removed a pick up and it is quite thick. Body wood is mahogany.

20. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    If you want a hotter signal, if I'm not mistaken, there is a trim pot in the electronics cavity. I could be wrong but it's worth a check.
    Bones

Adam Groves likes this.