1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alembic Epic - Is it worth the cash?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M.D.S., Apr 8, 2006.

1. M.D.S.

M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    Scotland
    There's a 1995 alembic epic 5er for sale in a local store for £900. I've played it and it seems like a pretty damn good bass, the only fault I could find was a slightly loose volume control, otherwise it seemed to be in perfect condition.

The only problem is that I don't think I've ever seen an epic for sale in the UK before and because of the amount of money that seems to be added buying any American bass over here, a direct comparison between US and UK prices is a bit unreliable.

So all I really want to know is - Is this a good deal?

2. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I'm not sure about the amount compared to US prices but, I love my 95 Epic. Very well made and sounds great. Might wanna check out that loose volume knob though.

Attached Files:

3. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I just checked the conversion rates(?) for the pound and the dollar and it came out to approx.$1,567.89. Pretty good deal, but I would check on that volume knob. Maybe try to get them to come down on the price. Good luck!!

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, this is largely a matter of personal preference, of course, but I paid $1200 US for an Epic 6 a few years ago and couldn't wait to sell it! Heavy as a log, big ol' clunky neck and a hard, brittle upper register that I hated. I've owned a few Alembics, however, and I reallly don't like any of 'em. Obviously, YMMV.

5. M.D.S.

M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    Scotland
    Yeah, I have read some Alembic 'Horror stories' while doing a little research on this bass, and there seems to be a particularly high 'lemon count' with the epics. Fortunatly, for this bass at least the weight ain't an issue. It's actually significantly lighter than my four-string Trace Elliot Jazz...

Anyway, I'm going to go and have another look at it on Monday to make my final decision... Argh! Still not sure though... :confused:

6. Epics are nice basses and £900 is a good price for one.
    Have a look on the Gallery website, they've got a couple on there.
    I've owned a couple of Alembics and stil own a really nice Stanley Clarke model, I've also played others and have yet to find one that I haven't found to be less than superb.
    Have a look on the Alembic website, particularly the fan club part, ask a few questions on the forum.