Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic Epic or Stingray for "Aeroplane" solo by RHCP? (Sadowsky note)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimS, Mar 19, 2003.

1. That tone kills me. I was wondering if anybody definitively knows this. I checked this thread and it's close but doesn't really answer it may get bumped back but...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44046

Anybody who's played the Sadowsky 24f 5: can it approximate this funky slap sound above?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My auxiliary band recently picked this song so I'm learning it now. I totally love Flea's bass line. I'm not much of a slapper, so this is very good practice for me. FWIW, I can get pretty close with either my Fender RB5 or MTD 535. I honestly think any bass with Jazz-style pups will do (including the Epic). I also think a Ray would sound great, but the recorded tone doesn't quite sound like a Ray to my ears.

I can't comment on how a Sad 24 would sound, because I've never played one. Frankly, I don't think I'd play one even if I got the chance, because I'm sure I'd then want to buy one. :eek: IOW, I think the Sad would work just fine!@

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Probobly Ray or even Wal. I think Flea was using the Wal during that time period to record. I know the Wal was used for Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic, so it's possible he was still using it on the next album. If I had to guess though, it was probobly the Ray though.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    iirc, according to the bassplayer article from when this album came out, he said he used the epic for the whole album except for aeroplane where he used the ray. however, to my ears it sounds like the inro and solo are the epic and the slap line is a ray.

5. I bet the Sadowsky would work, if not, you might have to go with the Stingray. I can get pretty close on mine to that tone. Nice little slap riff too!

jtbp

6. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Jim: A Sadowsky 24 fret modern will definately sound similar to the Flea bass line, Sad 24M has one of the best slap tone IMO:bassist:

7. this is a little bit off topic, but ive got a live version of aeroplane if anyone wants it.

Are you sure that Flea used the Ray for the recording of aeroplane?

8. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    On that whole album he used and Epic. Of course, he could have also switched something for one part, as narud suggested.

9. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    According to an interview that Flea did with Bass Player a few years back, Aeroplane was the only song on One Hot Minute that he used a stingray on... the rest was an Alembic Epic.

He stopped using his Wal after BSSM... I read somewhere that he loved the sound of the Wal but just couldn't put up with everything else about it... which I believe is some form of blasphemy.... to me anyway!

10. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yeah, I'm quite sure he used his Sting Ray on Aeroplane.
    What songs on BSSM did he use the Wal on?

11. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    All of the songs that only needed a 4 string...

There are a few songs on BSSM that needed a 5 string, there he used a 'Ray 5 string...

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've said this before - but is there really any point in trying to assess the sound of a certain bass by reference to a commercial recording?

So - this will have gone through a load of studio- quality racks - maybe edited digitally. Then through months of post-production, mixing and tweaking.

Using things like Pro Tools, you can get any bass to sound like any other bass!

Plus we haven't even mentioned how much the actual player afftects the sound - so I remember the recent clinic with Steve Lawson and Michael Manring - very different (although high quality) rigs and setups. At one point Michael's amp stopped working and to save time he just used Steve's gear - but it sounded exactly as he had on his own stuff !!

So Flea playing a Stingray sounds completely different to the wannabes wacking Stingrays, I have heard in bass shops!! ;)

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Your point is a very good one. But. . .it's pretty darn hard to make a Jazz bass sound like a Stingray. So, sometimes you can make a pretty good guess.

14. Bruce Lindfield

On the other hand - the best impression of Jaco's distinctive Jazz bass "sound" I've heard live, was from somebody using a fretless Tobias V !!

15. TANGENTIAL TO THE THREAD:

I realize your point and it is a good one. Nevertheless, I like that tone, would want to emulate it and be a copycat*, and information helps. However, while they could alter the tone post-processing,some instruments definitely sound like themselves: Marcus J bass, Victors Whooten model, Roy Buchanan's Telecaster, etc.

*Isn't a lot of what we play and learn copying and then extrapolating in a new direction? Nothing wrong with that in my book. I wannabe like a lot of players I hear. I'm almost 40 and 'wanna' play like Flea, Miller, Will Lee, Geddy, etc. :)

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's what I was thinking. The sound is different in the 2 parts.

IMO, I don't think I could get that kind of sound out of my 24 fret 5.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - but just buying a particular bass does not make you sound like somebody else - that is the great Marketing fallacy!! ;)

So - Flea can sound good on a variety of basses - you won't necessarily sound anything like him just because you bought a particular bass!!

I think Marcus Miller is even more of a case in point - many people have 70s Jazz Basses - nobody else sounds like Marcus!!

18. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I don't think Jim wants to buy a bass to sound like Flea. He's asking is a Sadowsky can come close to the sound of a particualr song.

I might be wrong, though. ;)

19. Bruce Lindfield

Sounds like it to me....

20. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Got me there. :)