Alembic Epic ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godoze, Oct 22, 2004.

1. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    anyone have thoughts on these basses ?
  2. My opinion is that no other bass manufacturer can compare to Alembic, which means that you're going to pay a premium. I have an orion which is very similar to an epic. Amazing set neck contstuction that gives great mid-range punch, mine has walnut lams in the neck and a walnut top that gives it a very warm earthy tone down low. Everything built in house except the tuners, best electronics and pups on the market IMO (expcept for the very expensive almebic signature or series controls), 100% hand finished bodies, best woods, best customer service, lifetime warranty. AMAZING necks, the sating finish IMO is the best there is and is just so fast and comfortable.

They are works of art IMO and if you get one you'll probably be hooked for life and want to play nothing else.

Are you considering buying used or having a custom made for you?
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am purchasing a used one with a Paduak top and mahogany body.
  4. Just make sure you get the serial if you're buying from an individual, (I ended up with a stolen series I about 3 months ago, I returned it to alembic) alembic tracks all it's instruments and you can: 1. make sure its not stolen 2. post it at the almebic club and find out exactly what your bass is composed of, each one is different 3. register your bass, you cant get any service or parts without registering. Another great thing about alembic, they treat all their basses like children and keep detailed records on each one and who owns it.
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    While the Epics are their "low end" basses, I had one and loved it except that the preamp was kinda' hissy... especially if you used the treble much. The good news is, it sounded fantastic flat, so it wasn't a big problem.

I consider the "Series" basses to be a whole different animal, tho. Played a few, awesome instruments, but just not my cup of tea.

I think my favorite Alembics are the ones between the Epic and "Series" basses.

Bottom line tho, for the money, the Epic has GREAT tone, and I was able to keep the action on my 6 as low as anything I've owned with little or no buzz (when playing with an intensitiy appropriate for the action height of course).
  6. alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    I have a Alembic Series 1 and a Epic, both basses have great tone, the Epic is the bass I gig with, the weight is not to a problem, unlike the Series. you should be able to find an Epic for $600 to $1200 and well worth the money. and like Iron Yuppie said, you will be hooked for life!!! you should go to and look around, and check out the club. all Alembic basses and guitars are handmade and are a work of art. the Epic is not the bottom of the line, and even the Excel (the cheapest) is a fine bass.

David T
  7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, when I said "low end" I put it in quotes, because I really wouldn't use the term "bottom of the line" with any Alembic, and even their less expensive axes are great. :)

However, IMHO, it IS fair to say the Epic is one of their "low end" entries when compared to the rest... by a pretty significant margin... thousands of dollars. To me, that's a a pretty big differential. It does't make it a low end bass generally speaking, tho... not by a long shot. :)
  8. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

Whereas the Epic line of Alembics are good basses, I would look for an Alembic that has at least one low pass filter. As stock Alembics go, this begins with the Essence line. In my opinion, this piece of electronics is one of the key features that sets an Alembic apart from any other bass.

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting.
  9. Hey bones,

who needs q-switches or cvq's when you can get all that and more with an f1-x ;)
  10. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

I'm assuming you mean the sf-2. ;)
  11. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I got one. Paduak top / mahogany body .... recently de-fretted.

12. bubingaboy

Oct 18, 2004
    Rhode Island

I've had three Alembics: The Epic, The Europa and The Elan. Of the three, the Epic was my favorite. It played the best, sounded the best, but looked like a piece of late 70's/early 80's wall panelling. It had a mahogany body and wenge top (yuck..... wenge tops are totally nasty looking). I got mine used for $600 and sold it for the same.

Were I to go Alembic again, it would definitely be the Epic. It's their "low end" bass but that like saying a "low end Mercedes Benz". GREAT bass for the price I got it for.
  13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    thats a pretty sexy bass. The Pacman one rules, but I can't beat level 3 :(
  14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Wow, I remember when you were playing that bass! I saw you guys open for Incubus about 9 or 10 years ago at Slim's, and I remember that exact bass. In fact, I was telling someone that I remember you having an Alembic, but they were quick to tell me that I was wrong and you have always played Conklins. How about that for winning an argument!
  15. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    halftooth - hahaha you are right I did use it for that show! good memory!

Funny, you can remember the bass I played but not the year - that show was in 99, not 94-95.... :D ;) But I won't hold it against you - I have no idea where I was just 10 minutes ago. :meh:

sargebaker - level 3 is easy it's those damn key levels that get me. :confused: :)
  16. I own an Orion, which has (basically) the same construction and electronics as the Epic model. I have owned a Series I, and still own an Elan and EVH Signature, and the Orion shares my personal #1 position with the EVH Sig (which carries Series I electronics without the need of an external power supply).

I agree that for THE Alembic sound you need at least one low-pass filter, but for the best NATURAL sound you'll ever encounter in a bass you have to go for one with the Epic/Orion electronics package.

After all: a painter needs several brushes to paint a masterpiece... ;)
  17. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hate to be superficial, but the Epic is the only Alembic body style I like... and... although I know for a fact (as if the extra pickup didn't give it away) that it's been tweaked far beyond stock, Trip Wamsley's Epic makes sounds that make me soil my pants.
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Paging Dr. Malthumb!
  19. BRILLIANT....i played one with about 6 others the other wek and i thoght they were excellent..i played a walnut 4 with a satin finish and it was great..balance was good and it sounded great....i only liked it and the mark king sig out of the 6...brilliant