Alembic Epics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zon Bass, May 7, 2002.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    A local store has an Alembic Epic, it looks new and seems to be in perfect condition, i dont know the price, but i know it should be really cheap because i know the owner really well

Should i go with it or ge something better

Please only post if you have played one of these
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I owned an Epic 6 for about a year. Although the tone was good (and versatile), I disliked the feel of the bass and ended up selling it. Very heavy and clunky. There are better basses at that price point unless you virtually steal it.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As boogie said, they are very heavy and clunky.

They are pretty much the entry level A,embic, OK for the price, but IMHO there are much better basses in their price range.
  4. I have to concur. I own a 94 Epic, and I've never been able to get the sound I want out of it. Of course, it's likely more my fault than the bass'. I also find it heavy and clunky, and as my back has gotten worse over the years, it's now difficult for me to play it unless I'm sitting down. The electronics also seem to suck a 9-volt dry much quicker than other basses I've used.

If you're dead set on an Alembic, I think it'd be worth saving/spending the extra money for a higher level model. Like Embellisher/Jeff said, there are better basses in the Epic's price range.

If I'd have known better at the time, I'd never have bought mine. It's more bass than I know what to do with.
  5. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

Personally, I really like the feel of Alembics and that would include the Epic. However, I don't think the electronics package that comes on this bass delivers the distinct Alembic sound. I think it's critical to at least have one on board low pass filter (not uncommon for the Orion, standard on the Essence).

As stated earlier, if you're set on an Alembic, I would hold out for a higher end model. Alembic's on the used market can be had for a very reasonable price.

Best Wishes,
  6. Well, I have to disagree. I had a Lakland 55-94 and had a MTD 535 before. The Lakland was a very very light swamp ash that had a very airy low end. I found that woods make a difference and you can't add to what is missing in the instrument itself.

I have had a Epic 5 for 2 1/2 years now. After the light Lakland, I like the weight (and therfore low end tones) of the mahogany wood. Although I miss the low pass filter, I really like the tones that I can get out of the bass. I have had no problem with the weight at all. I have never noticed it and I am about normal in stature. I am not sure what clunky means. It is easy to play for me. I change the battery one a month. I play most every day and have never had a battery die on me. All that said, I wish I had a MTD 535 as a second bass, not as a replacement.

The only thing I don't like about it is the bridge is not adjustable (up and down) for each individual string. I don't feel I can use taper or exposed core string.
  7. AB, I guess after reading your post, I should restate some of what I said. I sound like I'm bashing the Alembics, and that's not what I intended. They are great basses, just not for everyone, or specifically, not for me. To make a bad analogy, a lot of guys want to drive a Ferrari, but not all of us can handle them.

Zon, I was just giving my opinion, but there are a lot of good points about the Alembics too. A bass is too personal of a choice to let one guy's opinion dissuade you from buying one.
  8. I Agree, Each person needs what suits them. I had bad luck with one Lakland that was much lighter than most due to the wood, but that particular bass was purchased by someone else, and I hope it works for them for their style of playing.

I am not going to judge the rest of the Laklands due to that one I had.

I don't know if I will ever find a bass I like as much as the Alembic. I have tried many brands, but will keep looking.