Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic F-1X Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grooveguru, Jun 18, 2001.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I just picked one up and should get it in a day or 2 and was wondering what you guys think of them? Also mine has no manual so could you give me the layout and any tips on using them? Thanks in advance.

2. well, i have the F-2B.. i'm not sure if it sounds the same - i've heard its the same with just two channels and no xlr out. i find that my preamp can get a little too fat at times for my taste, if there is such a thing. of course i notice this with a neck through that sustains forever and then some. actually, i've been wanting to check out a demeter because I hear they're a closer to flat and have a little more clarity.

3. I've had two, and although they are FAT, they are also rich and balanced. I also love the beauty of BASS-MID-TREBLE. They are excellent products.

4. Ive had one for about 2 months and although I miss and love my Aguilar more this is as close to the Aguilar as it gets. Monster tone, realitively clean DI and no nonsense and effective EQ controls. I usually can get away with setting it flat and adjusting to the room and stage.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sweet preamp. If I were going with separates it would be on my short list.

6. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I use the F1-x in my big rig and just love it. There really isn't a manual for this thing but after speaking with Ron Wickersham, I can describe the settings for "flat". Bass on 4, middle on 10 and treble on 4. Tell us what you think of it after you get a chance to play it.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  8. My F-1X only has a couple of gripe points:

1) The XLR is on the front
    2) The On/Off switch is on the back

Alembic mailed me a nice copy of the 1 page user manual. It is very close to the HTML that is on their web site.

No specs though.

9. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Groove,

I've had mine for around four years and it's nice. Agreed, it's bone simple but puts out a real clean signal. The XLR DO is fantastic for sending to a PA or for recording. Also, if desired, you can send the signal straight from your bass, no preamp. Given your Mark King Signature, that may be advantageous at times.

It's only disadvantage is that it's a mono preamp. Can you send a stereo signal from your MK (I thought you had Series II electronics put in this bass)? If so, and you desire playing in stereo, the F-2B may be a better preamp.

Now for some real fun, you need the SF-2. I've incorporated this device and really boosts the tonal spectrum I can get from my Essence 5 and my Steinberger. Might be a bit of overkill given your MK.

Best Wishes,

Bones

10. F-1X owners: my instruction sheet arrived last night from Alembic, and it shows the preamp having the On/Off switch on the front.

Q: do any of you F-1X owners have the model with the front mounted switch?

11. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Bgavin,

I guess it's possible they change their design but I doubt it. You're probably best to check with Mica Wickersham at the yahoo Alembic club.

The only switches on the front I know of are the deep, bright, pre/post direct out, and ground.

I use a surge proector for my F-1X, SF-2, and Power amp. Thus I always leave the F-1X on and turn the entire system on at the surge protector.

Bones