Alembic F-1x Settings/Ideas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arbitrary, Sep 18, 2006.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    So I'm very excited about my recently acquired Alembic F-1X preamp.
    I know flat is @ 2-10-2 with the switches down.
    But I was curious what settings you crazy folk out there use.
    Throw some stuff at me, just mostly curious.
    Damn this pre is loud!!!

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Playing through a pair of GS112s, I will set my treble on about 5 or so.
    Congratulations on a classic piece of gear. If you ever feel you have to sell it-don't! Wait a while. Play some other setups. Even let the Alembic collect dust in a closet. Once you get used to it, the Sound of an Alembic pre simply gets 'in your head'. It may not be the sound that you want at exactly this moment, but it's a sound that you don't ever want to be without, either.

Kim

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Sounded best to me in the store set flat.

Just fiddle with the knobs, dude!

:p

Nice pre.

4. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    bASS 6-7 MID 3-4 TREB 4-6

NO PRESENCE.

5. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    My favorite setting is flat - I prefer to adjust with my bass! Just lots of warm tubey fatness. Occasionally I'll throw in some mids from my parametric EQ, but that's it.

Lonnybass

6. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I've found myself with the bass @ 2 or 3 mids about 6 and treble @ 2.
    Gives me a nice clean sound that really responds.
    How often do y'all use der switches there?

Oh and I know theres a thread on this, hence no searching.

I'm curious what'll happen when I plug this into my nv610. Might be interesting.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well 2-10-2 with bright and deep off is the flat starting point for sure. Just to let you know, the unit is passive/INTERACTIVE which means that whenever you turn a knob (or engage the deep switch) it changes the effect that the other controls have. The bright switch is the exception, it shunts the highs around the volume control, the higher you turn up the volume, the less effect the bright switch has.

I really liked the deep control but many times i found that the unit sounded betetr in a live setting with it off. One of my favorite settings was 4-9-6 with the deep off. Also, belive it or not 10-10-10 sounds great. It is not as radical sounding as you might think, and is even one of the settings listed on the alembic site for the F2B

For more mids, i found that 2-10-6 did wonders.

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I tend to like all the controls at half way, (5, 5 and 5 I guess?) with my schroeder, and both switches down.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021