Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic F-1X Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rick1906, Feb 17, 2006.

1. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    Here's my current setup: Ken Smith BSR5M (or MM SR5) --> Alembic F-1X --> QSC PLX1602 --> Bergantino HT210S.

I play gospel and funk and currently have the F1-X set with volume @ 1:00, Bass @ 1:00, Mids maxed, Treble @ 12:00, both switches down. There's some hiss with either switch in the up position, but it's not too noticeable. Anyway, what other settings will work with the style of music I play?

2. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Flat on these is Bass 2, Mids 10, Treble 2, you might wanna try that as well..

3. I would put mids all the way, bass at 2 or 3, and treble all the way down. I would also turn off the tweeter on your bergie.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hiss with the Deep switch on? That is surprising!!!

You're not boosting the treble on your basses are you?

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, I'd recommend starting from there.

6. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    The hiss must be coming from setting treble at 12:00. With active basses, I set mine flat at 2-10-2 and then EQ on the bass as much as possible. With passive basses, I tend to boost the bass setting to as high as 12:00.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Been a long time since I had an F-1X, but if I recall it and the Fender circuit it's based on are roughly flat at 2-7-2 or 2-8-2 - and not 2-10-2.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Looking back to post no. 1, the topic is to suggest some settings for Gospel and Funk, not what settings on an F1-X are flat. To me, both styles of music need solid, prominent low end and perhaps Funk has diminished mids.

For what an F1-X costs, why on earth would you want to run it flat anyway?

9. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I think anyone who owns an Alembic pre and runs it flat is missing the whole point of owning one. AFAIK there is no bass on the market, save one, which the poster does not own, that has a preamp anywhere near as good sounding as a high quality rack pre like Alembic, Demeter, Kern, etc.
    And, if you start getting your sound by banging the front end of the signal with a heavily EQed bass you'll be missing all that richness from the pre.
    I would say if you want some different sounds, set your bass pre flat, and experiment with the Alembic. Then tweak from your bass if necessary.

10. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have the F2B. Which is the same but a 2 channel.
    I had someone check the frequency on it and they peak at 5.5 K. I never thought the pre was a slappers delight but it is usable and you can get a average slap tone from it. Its a great finger style pre. Real nice at that. I had a capacitor put in. Not sure what it was. I emailed Alembic and they suggested what to do. I brought it in to Davidson Electronics and they put it in. I did not double the frequency but it does go to about 7.5 to 8 k. Being the curve is a wide one you still have to tame the highs with a compressor and it does have a nice snap to it. Not clacky as before. Overall its a great pre. Very warm and aggressive. As far as a buzz. Check your bass also. Is it grounded? I get a buzz too when i favor the back pickup as they are single coiled and not stacked. make sure the cables are good. I was amazed what a cable can do.
    My set up is bass 5.5, mid 3 and high 5 to 5.5 ( the knob numbers). Before the update i had the highs at 4.
    I never thought the 2-10-2 was flat sounding. Tubes is another reason for some to buzz. So check them also.

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Mine is in for repair so I can't even look at it to tell you :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

12. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    My usual settings on my F-2B:

Bass: 4
    Middle: 10
    Treble: 6

As numbered around the knobs, not clock time positions.

No hiss.

13. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    That's where I set my V6! I wonder if their flat settings are identical? The Trace preamp was a virtual copy of the Alembic circuit with a mid shift added, so I've read. Both are extensions of the Dual Showman.

Are you playing a Jazz?

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    by the way................

with the deep switch on it has been my experience that you affect more than just the bass control. In fact it does cause hiss and a general increased sensitivity to the treble control. I found that with the deep switch on treble above 6 on the dial would hiss.

my favorite settings? usually about 4-9-5, deep switch off, bright switch on.

15. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    I've noticed that too. When I turned the treble down below four with the deep switch on, the hiss goes away.

16. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Yeah, I have a Jazz, but I play it less than my Precision or my Wal.