Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic F-1X tube swap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Apr 1, 2005.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I recently acquired a used Alembic F-1X, and when I took the cover off to see what tube it had in it, I discovered that the metal "cannister" around the tube had been soldered in place. I had expected it to be of the "push in and twist to remove" variety. Can someone else with an F-1X tell me if mine is unique in this regard? If not, do you guys have to desolder and resolder the metal cannister every time you swap tubes?

Thanks, Tom.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's not right or normal

your f1-x had one odd owner..................... :rolleyes:

i wonder how they have their door handles - welded?

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The prior owner had taken the unit in for service from a reputable shop, and he does not know if it was like this before he took it in or not (and therefore, did not know if they came that way, stock, or not). So, it was not a specific request from the immediate prior owner, in any regard.

Maybe a service center wanted to get more business every time a guy wants to swap tubes?

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    The sleeve should slide. I've never heard of anyone soldering it like that because they are so tight to begin with.